Looking for a little getaway with your family?
Choose from a variety of Road Trip ideas that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories with your family!
Pictured: Yankton, South Dakota
** Please Note: Some of these road trips might not work in 2020. Check the locations before visiting to see what attractions are open or what guidelines they recommend.
2020 SUMMER FAMILY FUN & ROAD TRIP GUIDE
Exciting Road Trips from Omaha
Explore Southern Minnesota
Adventure awaits just a quick road trip away in Southern Minnesota! Take in the vast history with 119 historic sites. Explore the 23 state parks and enjoy time on the water with our various lakes, waterfalls, rivers, and waterparks!
Lewis and Clark Resort
The perfect spot for family weekend getaways, weddings, reunions, and more! Big or small groups welcome! Beachfront and 27 miles of bike trails await you! 24 modern rooms, 17 modern cabins, and a 4,000 Square foot lodge.
Visit Cass County
Cass County is a popular destination for families seeking serenity, entertainment or adventure. Discover why outdoor lovers, history buffs, wine enthusiasts and specialty shoppers are visiting Cass County like never before.
Visit Columbus, NE, and Platte County
Looking for family fun? Well, look no further! Visit, play, eat and stay in Columbus and Platte County.
VISIT a handful of our historical monuments, and picnic areas.
PLAY at one of our numerous parks or shop our historic downtown boutiques.
EAT at one of our “Only in Platte County” restaurants/food trucks or sports bars.
STAY at our local campgrounds, wander our recreation trails and enjoy breathtaking views at the lakes.
Centrally located between Lincoln, Grand Island and Omaha, we are excited to welcome you to Platte County and the Columbus Area! Come check out all we have to offer.
Distance yourself from the crowds and take in our fresh air while you kick back and relax at the lake. A setting like ours is good for the mind, body and soul, and Yankton offers a little something for everyone.
Grand Island, NE
(Approx. 2.5 hours from Omaha)
- Grand Island is great destination with kids with top attractions including the Stuhr Museum, Stolley Park, Mormon Island State Recreation Area, and the Island Oasis Water Park in Grand Island.
(Approx. 2:50 from Omaha)
- The Sandhill Crane Migration is an amazing site every Spring!
Nebraska City, NE
(Approx. 1 hour from Omaha)
(Approx. 3 hours from Omaha)
- Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park is a fascinating Natural Landmark located right here in Nebraska!
- See complete skeletons of barrel-bodied rhinos, three-toed horses, llama-like camels, and sabre-tooth deer that were entombed in volcanic ash 12 million years ago. These skeletons are preserved for an amazing viewing and discovery experience!
(Approx. 2:30 from Omaha)
(Approx. 3:00 from Omaha)
- Live the lake life while visiting Okoboji with kids!
Storm Lake, IA
(Approx. 2:15 from Omaha)
- With a fun indoor and outdoor waterpark, King’s Pointe Waterpark Resort offers picturesque views right on Storm Lake.
(Approx. 4 hours from Omaha)
- Lost Island Waterpark – named one of the best waterparks in the country!
- Where to Stay and What to Do Near Lost Island Waterpark
Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO
(Approx. 3 hours from Omaha)
LONGER WEEKEND TRIPS FROM OMAHA
Colorado Springs, CO
(Approx. 8.5 hours from Omaha)
Minneapolis / St. Paul
Find More Helpful Resources: