Pictured: Sunken Gardens in Lincoln, NE.
>>Looking for a longer adventure? Find many exciting Road Trip Ideas from Omaha here!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
** Please Note: Some of these day trips might not work in 2020. Check the locations before visiting to see if they are open or what guidelines they recommend.
DAY TRIPS FROM OMAHA
Council Bluffs, IA
Hitchcock Nature Center
- One of our favorite places to hike near Omaha is definitely Hitchcock Nature Center! With the beautiful scenery, variety of difficulty in hikes, and close proximity to Omaha, it is a favorite to visit!
- Visit the State Capitol, Memorial Stadium, Morrill Hall, Lincoln Children’s Zoo, and more fun things to do with kids in Lincoln.
- On your way there or back, be sure to stop at Baker’s Candies in Greenwood, NE (about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln). Guests can sample delicious chocolate meltaways!
Nebraska City, NE
- One of our favorite activities of the Summer is participating in the The Nebraska Passport Program!
- With usually several stops in and around Omaha, explore hidden gems, popular attractions, unique restaurants, historical places, and locally owned businesses.
Platte River State Park
- Platte River State Park – Highlights include the Waterfall Trail (small waterfall, but easy trail and fun for kids), splash park, hiking trails, two observation towers, paddle boats, overnight accommodations. (Daily / Annual Park Entry Pass required.)
Wildlife Safari, Mahoney State Park, and SAC Museum
Attractions near Exit 426 (between Omaha and Lincoln)
- Mahoney State Park – Hiking/walking/biking trails, indoor activity center, aquatic center, observation tower, horseback riding, arts and crafts center, marina, overnight accommodations and more. In Winter, enjoy sledding and ice skating. (Daily / Annual Park Entry Pass required.)
- Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum – See a variety of permanent and featured exhibits and special events throughout the year.
- Wildlife Safari Park – Drive-through and see elk, bison, deer, and more. In the middle of the park, you can get out of your car and walk to see the bears, wolves, petting corral, and eagle aviary. Hiking trails also available.
- Venture out a little further for a stop at Baker’s Candies in Greenwood, NE (about 7 miles from Ashland). Guests can sample delicious chocolate meltaways!