Enjoy the best family-friendly things to do this July in Omaha!
Fireworks Displays, Community Fishing events, Do Space Summer Passport Program, Living History Weekend, Outdoor Movies and Concerts, Spraygrounds, and more!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Summer Fun Guides:
PLEASE NOTE: As things continue to change during this time, it is always a good idea to verify details before visiting.
BEST THINGS TO DO IN JULY IN OMAHA
4th of July Fireworks Displays and Parades
- Celebrate with many Fireworks Displays and Parades!
Visit Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka at the Omaha Series
See an Outdoor Movie
- Enjoy a free family movie outdoors, under the stars!
Enjoy an Outdoor Concert
- Enjoy a variety of FREE Summer Concerts in the Omaha Area, perfect for relaxing on a warm summer evening!
Splash in a Hydrant Party
- Stay cool on a hot, summer day with FUN Hydrant Parties at various locations in Omaha and Council Bluffs!
Watch a Parade at a Community Celebration
- Ralston Independence Day Parade, John C. Fremont Days, Gretna Days, and Benson Days are all in July!
Omaha Spraygrounds and Splash Pads
- Little ones love running through spraygrounds! Try a new one this summer!
Do Space Summer Passport Program – FREE [REGISTER]
- Do Space Summer Passport Program: Code, Make, Learn, & Explore this summer with the Do Space Summer Passport. Explore Omaha, learn new things, and have fun. Their Summer Passport Program provides a FREE resource that engages children of all ages in tech-related educational activities. Passports can be picked up at Do Space starting June 5th and they can also be accessed digitally at dospace.beanstack.org.
- Summer Project Kits: Do Space is offering two new projects to take home and complete every two weeks throughout June and July. View the project schedule for release dates and instructions.
Go on a Storywalk at Lauritzen Gardens – May 13 – June 30, included with regular admission
- Stroll along the spring flowering walk and follow along with a story. Families can take part in some healthy, fun activities that fit the theme of the story (Caring for the Environment by Kristen Chang).
- Location: Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St., Omaha, NE.
Nebraska Passport Program
- Get a couple of stamps this July by visiting passport stops in Nebraska!
Omaha Public Library’s Summer Reading Program Entertainment Thru July 31, FREE [REGISTER]
- Omaha Public Library is bringing some of your favorite entertainers and organizations to your home this summer with a series of exciting virtual events!
- Discover all of them here. [REGISTER]
Dinosaur Revolution – May 28 – Sept. 4, 2022 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.), Included with regular admission
- Uncover dinosaur facts and fossils in Dinosaur Revolution as you live large in reptilian role-play activities, undertake three Mesozoic Missions spanning 150 million years, and mimic dinosaur behavior.
- Location: The Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.
Community Fishing Nights – Several dates in July, FREE
- Community Fishing Nights occur across the area, where you will find loaner fishing equipment, bait and staff to assist you. At these events, Nebraska Game and Parks staff and Certified Fishing Instructors teach families the basics of this fun and relaxing activity.
$5 after 5 p.m. on Tuesdays at The Durham Museum – Tuesdays, June 7 – August 30 (5 – 8 p.m.), $5 per person
- On Tuesdays this Summer, visit The Durham Museum after 5 p.m. for $5! From June 7-August 30, admission for all ages will be just $5 after 5 p.m. on Tuesdays (FREE for Durham members and little ones ages 2 and younger). On Tuesday nights, the museum stays open until 8 p.m., giving guests the opportunity to visit late during the workweek.
Home Depot Kid’s Workshop – July 2 (9 a.m. – Noon), FREE
- Your child to build a Constellation Viewer in July.
Living History Weekend at Fort Atkinson State Historical Park – July 2 – 3 (10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.), Fee + Park Permit
- Visitors will be able to glimpse the activities that would have taken place at this 1820’s era outpost.
- Free Ice Cream will be available to the public with a “Concert in the Park” at the same time, playing 1820’s patriotic music.
- A valid Nebraska Park Entry Permit is required for all vehicles to enter the park and can be purchased at the site. A per person fee is required at the Harold W. Andersen Visitor Center of $2 per adult and $1 per child.
Kids FunFare at Regency – Thursdays, July 7 – 28 (10 – 11 a.m.), FREE [REGISTER]
- Enjoy an exciting Kids FunFare lineup with exciting new characters, popular kid’s entertainers, music, and more:
- July 7: Christmas in July
- July 14: Happy D Klown
- July 21: The Wonder Nook
- July 28: Cinderella & Prince Charming
- Location: Regency, 120 Regency Pkwy., Omaha, NE.
Joslyn Around Town: Art JAM in the Park – Thursdays, July 7 – Aug. 25 (10 a.m. – noon), FREE
- Join Joslyn artist-instructors at The RiverFront (under the canopies at 13th and Farnam St.), for art-making fun every Thursday morning in July and August. Art JAM in the Park is free and all ages are welcome.
Live on the Lake at Zorinsky – Select Fridays, July 8 – August 5 (6 – 9 p.m.), FREE
- This family-friendly event features live local Omaha bands, a variety of food trucks, adult beverages, and Omaha Parks & Recreation giveaways! The concerts will be held at the end of the drive of the 156th and F Street entrance.
Special Events at City of Omaha Pools
- Enjoy special events all month long at select City of Omaha pools.
Special Events at Fat Brain Toys [REGISTER]
- Fat Brain Toys offers families a mix of Tuesday morning and Saturday morning events! See the schedule of events here.
- Location: Fat Brain Toys, 16909 Burke St., Ste. 131, Omaha, NE.
Summerfest at River’s Edge – July 9 (TBD), FREE
- Music, activities, prizes, and fun for the whole family!
- Location: Hanafan Park, 4200 Avenue B, Council Bluff, IA.
Recreation On-The-Move – July 13 (9:30 – 11:30 a.m.), FREE
- This free drop-in program features fun, pop-up recreational programming designed for kids to attend with friends, parents, or caregivers and features themed games and activities.
- Location: Bayliss Park, 100 Pearl St., Council Bluffs, IA.
Penelope the Dinosaur Visits Omaha Public Libraries – July 14 & 16 (10:30 – 11 a.m.), FREE
- Penelope the Dinosaur will visit children for a special storytime. Bring your camera.
- July 14: Florence Branch
- July 16: Saddlebrook Branch
Lowe’s DIY Kid’s Workshop – July 16 (9 a.m. – 12 p.m.), FREE [REGISTER]
- Register your child to build a treasure chest in July.
Fontenelle Family Fishing Frenzy – July 19 (6 – 8 p.m.), FREE [REGISTER]
- Learn about trout fishing and all there is to know about catching this popular fish. Hosted by Omaha Parks and Recreation and Nebraska Game and Parks.
- Location: Fontenelle Park, 4407 Fontenelle Blvd., Omaha, NE.
The City of Omaha Celebrates America – July 22 (6 p.m.), FREE
- Normally held the weekend before the Fourth of July, this year the event will be July 22nd. Enjoy this annual celebration with a Fireworks Grand Finale at 10:00 p.m.
- Location: Memorial Park, 6005 Underwood Ave., Omaha, NE.
Let’s Can Hunger at Omaha Pools – July 22 (all day), FREE w/donation
- Bring 2 non-perishable food items for one free admission to any City pool, during open hours.
Little Bohemia Backyard Bash – July 23, 2022 (12 – 8 p.m.), FREE [REGISTER]
- Live music, food trucks, local beer, cocktails, shopping from local makers, and more. Plus! For the kids, a mini skate ramp for the kids (instructors will be there with boards to teach kids how to mount a board and the basics of skating), and a refurbished school bus, called Art Bus, that allows kids to hop inside and create art projects.
- Location: Dundee Bank, 5015 Underwood Ave., Omaha, NE.
Author George Korman Watch Party at Omaha Public Libraries – July 27 (1 – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Meet up with other fans at the library during the virtual event and discuss your favorite books. There will be a short trivia contest after the virtual event. You will get a chance to write a thank you card for Mr. Korman and you may win a signed copy of one of his books.
- This program is geared for students in grades 3-5, but all ages are welcome.
- Saddlebrook Branch
- Millard Branch
- Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch
- Charles B. Washington Branch
High Heel LIVE – July 29 (6:30 p.m.), FREE
- Enjoy a family-friendly outdoor performance.
- Location: Shadow Lake Amphitheatre, 7775 Olson Dr., Papillion, NE.
Benson Days – July 30 – 31, 2022 (12 – 8 p.m.), FREE [REGISTER]
- Benson Days is a family-friendly, summer festival that celebrates this neighborhood’s creative, diverse, caring culture. Parade, kickball tournament, mural tour, historical tour, and much more.
- Location: Benson Commercial District, Omaha, NE. Parade on July 30th starts at Benson High (5120 Maple St., Omaha, NE), 52nd and NW Radial Highway to 63rd Street/Maple Street.
Try a new place for Ice Cream
- Summertime is perfect for sharing Ice Cream with friends – including the Tower, an old-fashioned Soda Fountain, and more!
Go on a Family Getaway
- Choose from a variety of locations that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories!
- Day Trips, Road Trips, Cabins to Rent, and more!
Check out a Public Library Pass
Members of certain libraries can check out a pass to visit one of the following locations:
- Durham Museum – Members of all 12 Omaha Public Library branches, Bellevue Public Library, Bennington Public Library, Council Bluffs Public Library, Fremont Public Library.
- Fontenelle Forest – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Lauritzen Gardens – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
Sign up for Summer Camp
- Browse our 2022 Summer Camp Guide available now! From Art Camps to Specialty Camps and themes for every age and interest, you are sure to find one for your kids.
- Exciting News! Now you can SEARCH SUMMER CAMPS by:
- Type of Camp (Theme, All-Day, Half-Day, Extended Care, + more!)
- Age Group
- Week of Camp
Find more Helpful Resources: