I remember participating in the Summer Reading Program when I was little and loved sitting outside on warm days curled up with a book. This summer, engage your kids in many of the wonderful local and national summer reading programs available for kids and teens, with great rewards and prizes.
Find more things to do this Summer in our Ultimate Summer Fun Guide!
2020 UPDATE: This year, many of the libraries will be holding virtual events!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
PLEASE NOTE: As things continue to rapidly change during this unusual time, it is always a good idea to verify details before visiting.
Bellevue Public Library – June 21 – August 15, 2020
- Have fun and earn points this summer when you read books, attend virtual programs, submit written or picture book reviews, and take weekly challenges. Every 10 points you earn is one ticket entry into our 30 grand prize drawings at the end of summer.
Gretna Public Library – Begins May 26, 2020
- Summer Reading Program for infants – grade 12. Sign up at READsquared, the library’s new online reading tracing software.
- While Gretna Public Library is closed, participants can enjoy a variety of virtual summer events.
La Vista Public Library – June 3 – July 29, 2020
- La Vista Public Library is hosting a virtual summer reading program in 2020 using a free app called Reader Zone to log your reading experiences. The theme this year is “Imagine Your Story.” Summer Reading Program for infants – adults.
Omaha Public Library – June 1 – July 31, 2020
- Summer Reading Program for infants – adults.
- Join OPL online for many of the same activities and presentations that you enjoy and look forward to every summer, including the Dr. Oxygen science show, escape rooms, a magic show with Jeff Quinn, Out & About storytimes, Wildlife Encounters, and more! A full schedule of events is available here.
Papillon Public Library – June 1 – July 31, 2020
- The 2020 Summer Reading Program, for children – adults, has been converted to a digital format using the Beanstack Tracker app.
- Online, participants can enjoy exciting social distancing programs, weekly activities, and raffle prizes for both the youth and adult challenges.
Ralston – Baright Public Library – May 26 – July 31, 2020
- The 2020 Summer Reading Program, for children – adults, has been converted to a digital format using the Beanstack Tracker app. The more reading, programs, and activities you track, the better chance of winning a grand prize drawing!
- Visit the Baright Public Library Facebook Page and enjoy virtual storytimes.
Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program – Now – August 31, 2020
- Your child can earn a FREE book from the selection on the Reading Journal list after reading 8 books and recording them in their Summer Reading Journal. Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between July 1 – August 31, 2020.
Scholastic Summer Challenge: Happy Camper – May 4 – September 4, 2020
- This year, kids can build their avatar, make new friends, earn virtual rewards, and help unlock donations for kids with limited or no access to books by starting and keeping “reading streaks” in Scholastic Home Base when they read every day over the summer!
- In 2020, Feed Your Brain is going virtual with new reading logs, online storytimes, and weekly social giveaways. Kids 14 and under can earn Bookworm Bucks for reading in June and July.
- Join Camp BOOK IT! Track and reward your kids’ reading for June, July and August. When they meet their monthly reading goal, they’ll receive a free one-topping Personal Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut! Plus, enjoy fun activities and book recommendations each week to keep the fun going throughout the summer.