Enjoy many family-friendly events coming up in the Omaha area, including these 10+ FREE Events in August!
Keep updated on the latest Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Find more events this Weekend in Omaha!
1. Get Ready for Back to School with these FREE Events:
- Kindergarten Traffic Training with the Omaha Police Department
- Back to School Programs with the Omaha Public Library
- Community Wellness Bash
- Healthy Kids Carnival at Boys Town Medical Campus
- OneWorld Back to School Bash
Find more information about these events and other Back to School Events and School Supply Drives here!
2. Amazing Tech Race – Friday, August 4 (12 – 4 p.m.)
- There are still a few team slots available – Register here! Join the AIM Brain Exchange and Cox Business in downtown Omaha for an exciting afternoon of tech-driven competition for ages 7 – 17. Any team with children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Teams of four will meet at noon on the starting line, located at the AIM Brain Exchange at 1902 Howard St. Omaha, NE. Participants will be given a map which contains 12 clues to find special locations across downtown Omaha.
3. Hanscom Park Playground Grand Opening – Friday, August 4 (4 – 7 p.m.)
- Party in the Park: The night will consist of a live band, ribbon cutting/speaking, food trucks, face painting, and other fun recreational activities (bounce houses, rock wall, etc.).
4. Family Night at the Union Pacific Museum – Friday, August 4 (5 – 7 p.m.)
- Follow the tracks of dinosaurs, animals, and the upcoming solar eclipse at Family Night.
- Location: Union Pacific Museum, 200 Pearl St, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
5. Kids Workshop at Home Depot – August 5 (9 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- Hands-on workshop and you and your child can build a wooden Penske truck.
6. Tots on the Towne at Shadow Lake Towne Center – August 10 (10:30 – 11:30 a.m.)
- Open Play and Summer Games at Shadow Lake’s Sprayground.
7. Hitchcock Nature Center: Night Sky Event – August 12 (8:30 p.m. – Midnight)
- Take in the beauty of the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. This spectacular display of lights and falling meteors is an event you don’t want to miss. Meet at the park entrance at 8:30 p.m. & bring your lawn chairs, blankets, binoculars & telescopes to view natures fireworks.
- There is no fee for this event, free will donations are accepted. Daily ($2) or Annual Pottawattamie County Park annual permit required.
8. Hands-on-Habitat at Fontenelle Forest – August 18 (9:30 – 11 a.m.), Free with Registration
- Fun educational, hands-on classes for pre-school age children and parents brought to you by ParentSavvy and Fontenelle Forest.
- Free 3x a year. Registration opens the 1st of the month. Please note that space is limited and sessions do fill quickly! Register here!
9. StoneBridge Fireworks Bonanza – August 18 (6 – 10:30 p.m.)
- Bounce houses, food trucks, jumbo yard games, live music, and a professional fireworks display. Admission is free for the activities, food truck fees apply.
- Location: 15801 Butler Ave, Omaha
10. Vintage Wheels at the Fort – August 20 (10 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Along with the over 70 expected vintage vehicles, children and parents will have the chance to take free rides in select vehicles, create crafts, and receive a free book. Location: Historic Fort Omaha, 5730 N 30th St, Omaha.
11. Ice Skating Open House – August 20 and 27
- Fun and free day of ice skating lessons, giveaways, and refreshments. (Skate rental is extra and is available at both locations.)
- Sunday, August 20th: 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., Motto McLean Ice Arena, 5015 S. 45 St. (Hitchcock Park, 45th & P)
- Sunday, August 27th: 12:00 – 2:00 p.m., Baxter Arena, 2425 S. 67th St (67th & Center)
12. Solar Eclipse – August 21
- The Total Solar Eclipse is happening on August 21, 2017, and many communities in Nebraska have fun activities planned!
13. Relax under the stars and enjoy many FREE Outdoor Movies
- Trolls, Finding Dory, SING, Secret Life of Pets, and more in August at Flix at the Chef, Sumtur Amphitheater, Camp Fontanelle, Bayliss Park, and La Vista!
See more FREE Outdoor Movies all Summer!
14. Cool off with Hydrant Parties this Summer!
- City of Omaha’s Hydrant Party Schedule – Three different locations every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from June 12 through August 4, 2017 with the first stop beginning at 12 p.m.
- Council Bluffs Hydrant Parties – Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 13 – August 10, 2017; 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. at various locations. Subject to change. Canceled if inclement weather.
15. Splash at 15+ Spraygrounds in the Omaha Area!
16. Enjoy many FREE Summer Concerts!
More Fun this July
Living History Weekend at Fort Atkinson State Historical Park – August 5 – 6 (Free with Park Permit)
- Interpretive hours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On these days, volunteers portray life at an 1820’s military fort. A Park Entry Permit is required.
- Find many Free or Cheap movies in theaters, Kids Film Series, and more all Summer in the Omaha Area at:
- Summer Kids Camp at Alamo Drafthouse Cinema
- Marcus Theaters
- Find out more!