Celebrate Back to School with many fun events in Omaha!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Back to School Events in Omaha
Kindergarten Traffic Training with the Omaha Police Department at Westroads Mall – July 31 & August 1 – 2, 2019; (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Open to all children entering kindergarten in the fall of 2019 or children who need a refresher on traffic safety. Children will learn about traffic safety, fire safety, and seatbelt safety. Each training session lasts approximately one hour.
- Parents/Guardians must remain on location while their child completes the training. Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers will be on hand to give prizes to the kiddos!
- Location: Westroads Mall (Dick’s Sporting Food Court area by the Children’s play area), Omaha, NE.
Community Wellness Bash – August 1, 2019 (4:30 – 7:30 p.m.), FREE
- Free screening, resources, and activities for all ages.
- Location: Bayliss Park, 100 Pearl St., Council Bluffs, IA.
Family Fun Carnival at SAC Museum – August 3, 2019 (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), Included with Regular Admission
- Includes face painters, balloon artists, jugglers, and large shuttle slide. Kids can enjoy playing many different carnival style games and win prizes! Also, come meet Runza Rex.
- The event is included with general admission to the Museum. Adults $12, military/seniors $11, kids 4-12 yo $6, and kids 3 and under are free.
- Location: Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum, 28210 W. Park Hwy., Ashland, NE.
Back to School Customer Appreciation Event at Westroads Mall – August 3, 2019; (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- The first 100 customers (one bag per family) will receive a swag Bags with coupons and a few small school supplies. Plus, spin the Raising Cane’s Prize Wheel.
- Location: Westroads Mall (Second Level, by Flagship Commons and The Lounge), Omaha, NE.
Back to School Programs with the Omaha Public Library – August 7 – 11, 2019, FREE
- Join the Omaha Public Library for a variety of back to school events to help students prepare for a successful school year. All events are free and open to the public.
Back-to-School Bash at The Durham Museum – Friday, August 9 (5 – 9 p.m.), Regular admission applies. Reservations Required.
- Come for one last bash before the school year starts! Watch the movie “We’re Back” on the big screen, jump into the “bounce-a-saurus” bounce house, get your face painted to look like your favorite dinosaur, explore the museum’s current traveling exhibition, “Tyrannosaurs: Meet the Family,” and see “Scotty” the largest and oldest T.rex ever discovered.
- Check out our food truck round up on the lower level of the museum parking deck (Cost of food truck items not included in event admission. Trucks accept cash or credit cards.)
- RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Reserve your spot online, then pay when you arrive at the event. Regular museum admission applies; free for members.
Back To School Celebration at 156th & Maple Hy-Vee – August 10 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Back to school celebration with bounce houses and games! For a small fee, your child can ride a pony or you can purchase a rootbeer float. All proceeds will go back to JDRF.
Teacher Appreciation Night at Gifford Farm – August 10, 2019 (6 – 8:30 p.m.), Admission: $5 each ages 2 & up. Teachers and one child get in free with school ID
- Guests can learn about educational programs, visit with the farm animals, take a hayride, and learn, play, and explore the Outdoor Nature Classroom. Stay late for lemonade and marshmallow roasting as the stars come out. Teachers, grab your “Thank You” bags and enter the “Teacher Only” raffle.
- Admission: $5 each ages 2 & up. Teachers and one child get in free with school ID.
- Location: Gifford Farm Education Center, 700 Camp Gifford Rd., Bellevue, NE.
Back to School Carnival & FX Event at Reality Church – Sunday, August 18, 2019 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.), FREE
- Service times will be a Family Experience with music, games, skits, videos, and teaching moments to help the whole family understand what Reality Kids will be learning about all month.
- They will be accepting donations of school supplies in lieu of an entrance fee.
- Location: Reality Church, 10695 Portal Rd., La Vista, NE.
School Supply Drives + Distribution
When shopping for back-to-school this year, consider picking up a few extra items. Thank you for your generosity!
Supply Drive Wednesdays at Fun-Plex – Wednesdays, May 29 – August 14, 2019 (4 – 8 p.m.)
- Bring school supplies (1 backpack or 3 qualifying items) for a donation to the KETV Backpack Program and receive admission for just $12.95+tax per person. See the list of items here. All items must be new. Twilight Rates are from 4 – 8 p.m.
- Location: Fun-Plex, 7003 Q St., Omaha, NE.
- New school supplies are being collected. School supplies can be dropped off at Methodist Health System locations, Fun-Plex and Bucky’s Convenience Stores.
- See list of school supplies needed and find your closest drop-off location here.
- July 12-Aug. 1: Drop off backpacks and school supplies at any Omaha/Council Bluffs First National Bank location.
- Thursday, Aug. 1: They will be collecting backpacks, school supplies and monetary donations from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the First National Bank location at 133rd and Maple streets.
Salvation Army KETV 7 Can Help Kids Back To School Backpack Program Distribution – August 9-10, 2019
- Every year, the Back To School Backpack Program provides thousands of children with backpacks and school supplies at locations across the metro. 2019 is the 21st Anniversary of the 7 Can Help Kids Back to School Backpack Program. Check here for Backpack Distribution locations and times.
Be sure to visit Mom Saves Money, a local Mom who highlights the best deals on Back to School items each week!
Find More Fun: