Celebrate Back to School with many fun events in Omaha! Enter to WIN a $25 Giftcard to Nobbies below and get a head start going back to school (ENDED)!
Keep updated on the latest Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Back to School Events
2017 Kindergarten Traffic Training with the Omaha Police Department at Westroads Mall – August 2 – 4; (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Open to all children entering kindergarten in the fall of 2017 or children who need a refresher on traffic safety. Children will learn about traffic safety, fire safety and seat belt safety. Each training session lasts approximately one hour.
- Location: Westroads Mall, Dick’s Sporting Good Court area by the Children’s play area
Back to School Programs with the Omaha Public Library – August 4 – 20, FREE
- Join the Omaha Public Library for a variety of back to school events to help students prepare for a successful school year. All events are free and open to the public.
Back to School Bash at the Omaha Zoo – August 5 – 6; (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Get into the school spirit by hanging out with local mascots while enjoying kid-friendly music from the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s The Herd percussion group. Gate gifts, provided by Oriental Trading Company, will be given out, while supplies last. Included with regular zoo admission or membership.
Community Wellness Bash – August 5; (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.), Bayliss Park, Council Bluffs, FREE
- Free screening, resources, and activities for all ages.
Healthy Kids Carnival at Boys Town Medical Campus (139th & Pacific) – August 5, (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Fun games and hands-on activities about health and nutrition. Enjoy games and prizes at every booth!
Back to School Bash at Papillion Farmers Market – August 9, (5:30 – 7:30 p.m.), FREE
- Games, crafts, and more. One lucky participant will also take home a backpack full of school supplies! Join the City of Papillion Recreation Staff and Sump Memorial Library Staff for this fun night in City Park.
OneWorld Back to School Bash – August 11, (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Provides area families with access to free health screenings for children, information on community resources, school supplies, snacks, and children’s activities.
- Location: OneWorld’s Livestock Exchange Building, 4920 S. 30th Street, Omaha, NE 68107.
Family Fun Saturday & Teacher Appreciation Night at Gifford Farm – August 19, (6 – 9 p.m.)
- Evening hayride, visit the farm animals, and learn, play, and explore in Outdoor Nature Classroom. Stay late to watch the stars come out and roast some marshmallows.
- Admission: $5 each aged 2 & up Cash or Check only please.
- Teachers and 3 family members get in free!
School Supply Drives + Distribution
When shopping for back-to-school this year, consider picking up a few extra items. Thank you for your generosity!
KETV Backpack Drive Twilight Wednesday at Fun-Plex – Wednesdays through early August, 4 – 8 p.m.
- Bring 3 qualifying school supply items and get a twilight ticket for only $9.95 + tax. See list of items here. All items must be new. Twilight Rates are from 4 – 8 p.m.
7 Can Help Kids Back-To-School Backpack Program – July 3 – August 5
- New school supplies are being collected now through August 5. They can be dropped off at The Salvation Army Lied Renaissance Center (3612 Cuming Street), any Methodist clinic or hospital location, nine Scooter’s locations, and Fun-Plex Waterpark & Rides (70th & Q).
Stuff the Bus – August 5 (8 a.m. – Noon)
- The event kicks-off on August 5th at the 132nd & Center, First National Bank location, (8 a.m. – Noon). Stop on by and enjoy a number of activities.
- Can’t make it out to either event? Stop by any First National Bank metro branch location. They will be collecting school supplies from July 17th through August 7th.
Salvation Army KETV 7 Can Help Kids Back To School Backpack Program Distribution with the Omaha Kroc Center – August 11 – 12
- Every year, the Back To School Backpack Program provides thousands of children with backpacks and school supplies at locations across the metro.
- To receive a backpack, you are required to bring: a social security card or birth certificate or proof of school enrollment for each qualifying child AND identification for parent. For more information, please call 402-898-5966.
- August 11 & 12, 9 a.m. – noon & 1 – 4 p.m. at the Omaha Kroc Center, 2825 Y St
- August 11 & 12, 9 a.m. – noon & 1 – 4 p.m. at the Omaha North Corps Community Center, 2424 Pratt St
- August 12, 9 a.m. – noon at the Omaha Public Library – Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Lane
Be sure to visit Mom Saves Money, a local Mom who highlights the best deals on Back to School items each week!
Do you know of another school supply drive or back-to-school event? Please email us to add it to the list!
Giveaway: Win A $25 Giftcard to Nobbies!
One Family Fun in Omaha reader will win a $25 Giftcard to Nobbies!
This giveaway has ended. Many thanks to all who entered! Congratulations to Kelly J.!
GIVEAWAY ENDS: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 11:59 p.m., CST.
OTHER: Entrants must be 19 or older and located in the US only. The winner will be selected using random.org and notified via email. Winner must respond within 48 hours to claim their prize, or another winner will be chosen. Only one entry (+ bonus entries) per person. Duplicate entries will be deleted.