Celebrate Back to School with many fun events in Omaha!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Back to School Events
2017 Kindergarten Traffic Training with the Omaha Police Department at Westroads Mall – August TBA; (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Open to all children entering kindergarten in the fall of 2018 or children who need a refresher on traffic safety. Children will learn about traffic safety, fire safety, and seat belt safety. Each training session lasts approximately one hour.
- Location: Westroads Mall, Dick’s Sporting Good Court area by the Children’s play area
Back to School Programs with the Omaha Public Library – August 8 – 12; FREE
- Join the Omaha Public Library for a variety of back to school events to help students prepare for a successful school year. All events are free and open to the public.
Back to School Bash at the Omaha Zoo – August TBA; (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Get into the school spirit by hanging out with local mascots while enjoying kid-friendly music from the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s The Herd percussion group. Gate gifts, provided by Oriental Trading Company, will be given out, while supplies last. Included with regular zoo admission or membership.
Community Wellness Bash – August 4; (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.), Bayliss Park, Council Bluffs, FREE
- Free screening, resources, and activities for all ages.
Healthy Family Field Day at Boys Town Medical Campus (139th & Pacific) – August 4, (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.); FREE
- Fun field games, interactive health and fitness demonstrations, healthy snacks and safety education for all ages.
Back to School Bash at Papillion Farmers Market – August 8, (5:30 – 7:30 p.m.); FREE
- Games, crafts, and more. One lucky participant will also take home a backpack full of school supplies! Join the City of Papillion Recreation Staff and Sump Memorial Library Staff for this fun night in City Park.
OneWorld Back to School Bash – August 10, (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.); FREE
- Provides area families with access to free health screenings for children, information on community resources, school supplies, snacks, and children’s activities.
- Location: OneWorld’s Livestock Exchange Building, 4920 S. 30th St., Omaha, NE 68107.
Teacher Appreciation & Family Fun Night at Gifford Farm – August 11, (6 – 8:30 p.m.)
- Evening hayride, visit the farm animals, and learn, play, and explore in Outdoor Nature Classroom. Stay late to watch the stars come out and roast some marshmallows.
- Admission: $5 each aged 2 & up. Cash or Check only, please.
- Teachers get in free with school ID!
School Supply Drives + Distribution
When shopping for back-to-school this year, consider picking up a few extra items. Thank you for your generosity!
KETV Backpack Drive Twilight Wednesday at Fun-Plex – Wednesdays through August 15, 4 – 8 p.m.
- Bring 3 qualifying school supply items and get a twilight ticket for only $12.95 + tax. See the list of items here. All items must be new. Twilight Rates are from 4 – 8 p.m.
7 Can Help Kids Back-To-School Backpack Program – July 2 – August 9
- New school supplies are being collected now through August 9. They can be dropped off at any Community Collection Partner location; find your closest drop-off location here.
Stuff the Bus – August 8 (5 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
- Stop by First National Bank, located at 132nd & West Center, anytime throughout the day, 5 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Can’t make it out to either event? Stop by any First National Bank metro branch location. They will be collecting school supplies from July 16th through August 8th.
Salvation Army KETV 7 Can Help Kids Back To School Backpack Program Distribution with the Omaha Kroc Center – August 10-11
- Every year, the Back To School Backpack Program provides thousands of children with backpacks and school supplies at locations across the metro.
- To receive a backpack, you are required to bring: a social security card or birth certificate or proof of school enrollment for each qualifying child AND identification for parent. For more information, please call 402-898-5966.
- August 10-11, 9 a.m. – noon & 1 – 4 p.m. at the Omaha Kroc Center, 2825 Y St.
- August 10-11, 9 a.m. – noon & 1 – 4 p.m. at the Omaha North Corps Community Center, 2424 Pratt St.
- August 11, 9 a.m. – noon at the Omaha Public Library – Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln.
Be sure to visit Mom Saves Money, a local Mom who highlights the best deals on Back to School items each week!
Do you know of another school supply drive or back-to-school event? Please email us to add it to the list!