Omaha is FULL of FREE or inexpensive family activities and events this summer! Check back often as more events will be added throughout the summer!
See these and many other fun events in the Omaha Kids Calendar! For more ideas on family fun, be sure to Follow Us on Facebook or Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter to keep updated on upcoming events and activities in Omaha!
Jump directly to your favorite FREE summer activity!
- Community Celebrations
- Family Fishing Events
- Farmer’s Markets
- Festivals and Special Events
- Hydrant Parties
- Kids Bowl Free
- Kids Programs
- Kids Skate Free
- Nebraska’s Great Park Pursuit
- Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rec’s Kids Club Summer Program
- Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Spraygrounds and Splash Parks
- Summer Concerts
- Summer Reading Programs
Community Celebrations (click for details)
- Enjoy parades, community cookouts, games, dances, live music, fireworks, plus more at many Omaha Area Community Celebrations!
Family Fishing Events
- The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission sponsors Free Family Fishing Events across the state where people of all ages can learn to fish! Look for the Family Fishing Trailer where loaner rods and reels, bait, and fishing instruction are available free to participants. See the full calendar and detailed information here!
Farmers Markets (click for details)
- Bellevue Farmers Market / Flea Market – Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. May 31 – September 20; Washington Park on Franklin Street at West 20th Avenue, Bellevue
- Benson Farmers Market – Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. May 3 – September 27; Military Avenue at Maple Street
- Charles Drew Health Center Market – Wednesdays, 3 – 5 p.m. July 2 — July 30; 2915 Grant Street
- Main Street Farmers Market Council Bluffs – Thursdays, 5 – 8 p.m. May 1 – September 25 (closed July 3); Historic 100 Block of West Broadway (between First and Second Streets), Council Bluffs
- Omaha Farmers Market in Aksarben Village – Sundays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. May 4 – October 19; 67th and Center
- Omaha Farmers Market in the Old Market – Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. May 3 – October 18; 11th & Jackson Streets
- Village Pointe Farmers Market – Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. May 3 – October 4; 168th & Dodge
Festivals and Special Events
- Cinco de Mayo – May 1 – 5, 2015
- Omaha Heritage Festival – May 16, 2015, Lewis and Clark Landing
- Santa Lucia Festival – June 5 – 8
- Summer Arts Festival – June 6 – 8
- Sand in the City – June 7 – 8
- College World Series – June 14 – 25 (Opening Celebration Day and CWS Fan Fest)
- Bank of the West Celebrates America – June 27
- Railroad Days – July 12-13, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Although not free, it is a wonderful deal with purchase of an All Aboard Pass for $15/family (max. 2 adults + $5 addl. adult) which includes admission and transportation to all locations – Durham Museum, Lauritzen Gardens, Union Pacific Railroad Museum, RailsWest Railroad Museum, and the Historic General Dodge House.)
- Offutt Air Show – July 19-20, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- World O! Water – September 6, 12 – 4 p.m.
- Register your children and they will receive two free games every day all summer! (Shoe rental may be required.) Parents can purchase a family pass, if they wish, so they can bowl with their kids. Select your favorite Bowling Center in Nebraska or in other states to sign up!
- FREE Kids Programs in Omaha
- Home Depot Kids Workshops – first Saturday of each month, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m, for children ages 5-12.
- Free Crafts at Lakeshore Learning Stores – Saturdays, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Kids Funfare at Regency Court – Thursdays 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. in June and July in Center Court for free fun activities.
- Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinics – select Saturdays at 10 a.m.
- Michaels Kids Club – occasional Free Family Craft Time, plus Kids Club on Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., on the 1/2 hour, $2
- Shadow Lake Towne Center Tots on the Towne – normally held the second Thursday of each month at 10:30 a.m., at a different location inside Shadow Lake Towne Center.
- Westroads Kids Club – first Wednesday of every month from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. on the upper level, near the children’s play area.
- A nationwide program that offers free skating all summer long. In Omaha, this includes SkateDaze! Passes valid for children 12 years old and younger. Register to begin receiving your skating passes!
Movies (click for details)
- Find many free or cheap movies in theaters and in parks all summer! These movies usually fill up quickly so arrive early to get a seat! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- A FREE outdoor adventure throughout Nebraska from 5/1-9/17, where participants can visit up to 20 local, state or federal parks. At each park, visitors follow clues to find the post and make a nature impression. Impressions are mailed in, reflecting the total number of parks visited. Entry into prize drawings are based on the number of impressions collected. There are a few near Omaha and Lincoln!
- Fans who bring two non-perishable Hy-Vee Brand canned food items to specific Sunday Omaha Storm Chasers games will receive one FREE general admission ticket to the McDonald’s Berm. Food will be donated to the Heartland Hope Mission food pantry. Good for (1) ticket per person, per two canned food items.
- Rec’s Kids Club Summer program combines a variety of activities geared around the weekly theme such as crafts, games, sports, swimming, special events and field trips for youth ages 6-12 yrs. Suggested donation of $35.
- Family Movie Night – 5:30 p.m. – Doors Open, Free Popcorn, & Games; 6 p.m. – Movie
- May 30 – Goonies (PG)
- June 20 – Pirates of the Caribbean – Curse of the Black Pearl (PG-13)
- July 11 – The Hobbit, (PG-13)
- August 15 – Bridge to Terabithia (PG)
Spraygrounds and Splash Parks (click for details)
- Omaha has many Fun and Free Spraygrounds to stay cool on a hot summer day!
Summer Concerts (click for details)
- Enjoy many FREE Summer Concerts, perfect for relaxing on a warm summer evening!
Summer Reading Programs
It is always a good idea to verify the information with the business before visiting.
Other helpful resources: