Omaha is FULL of FREE or inexpensive family activities and events this summer! Check back often as more events will be added throughout the summer. See these and many other fun events coming soon in the Omaha Kids Calendar and this weekend’s events in Weekend Fun!
Looking for more Summer Fun? Find 50+ Things to Do in Omaha this Summer with Kids!
Keep updated on the latest Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Jump directly to your favorite FREE summer activity!
- Community Celebrations
- Family Fishing Events
- Farmer’s Markets
- Hydrant Parties
- Indoor Fun
- Junior Golf Club
- Kids Bowl Free
- Kids Programs
- Kids Skate Free
- Nebraska’s Great Park Pursuit
- Omaha Storm Chasers
- Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Special Events
- Spraygrounds and Splash Parks
- Summer Concerts
- Summer Reading Programs
- Wildlife Encounters
- Enjoy parades, community cookouts, games, dances, live music, fireworks, plus more at many Omaha Area Community Celebrations!
- The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission sponsors Free Family Fishing Events across the state where people of all ages can learn to fish! Look for the Family Fishing Trailer where loaner rods and reels, bait, and fishing instruction are available free to participants. All participants ages 16 or older need a current and valid fishing license permits. See the calendar and detailed information here!
- Find many Farmers Markets in the Omaha Area, where local vendors sell fresh, locally grown produce, baked goods, and flowers, and often host special events.
- Stay cool on hot, summer day! (Schedule subject to change. Canceled if inclement weather.)
- City of Omaha’s Hydrant Party Schedule: June 15 – August 7; Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 1 – 5 p.m. at various locations
- Council Bluffs Hydrant Parties: June 9 – August 6; Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. at various locations.
- 10+ FREE things to do for Indoor Fun in Omaha to enjoy on those hot or rainy summer days!
- This program allows kids aged 8 to 14 to play golf for free at all city operated 9-hole golf course Monday through Friday, and on weekends when accompanied by a paying adult. Each child must first get certified for Junior Golf Club prior to playing. Certification clinics will be held at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. at each of the Family Golf Days. Family Golf Days include free lessons, food and refreshments, the famous Golfzilla and Golfopotamus, bounce houses and the climbing wall. Bring your kids to each of these events, golf for free, and get your child certified for the Junior Golf Club this season!
- Register your children and they will receive two free games every day all summer! (Shoe rental may be required.) Parents can purchase a family pass, if they wish, so they can bowl with their kids. Select your favorite Bowling Center in Nebraska or in other states to sign up!
- Enjoy many free or inexpensive Kids Programs in the Omaha Area including arts and crafts, building programs, special storytimes, Kids Clubs, plus more!
- A nationwide program that offers free skating all summer long. In Omaha, this includes SkateDaze! Passes valid for children 12 years old and younger. Register to begin receiving your skating passes!
- Find many Free or cheap movies in the Omaha Area in theaters and in parks all summer! These movies usually fill up quickly so arrive early to get a seat! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- The Great Park Pursuit (GPP) encourages participants to visit up to 20 GPP sites located across Nebraska between May 1 and September 18, 2015. Players follow clues that will lead them to a GPP post, where they use a pencil to make an impression of the post to prove they were there. Prizes and entry into drawings are based on the number of impressions collected. The grand prize is an outdoor recreation package with a retail value of $1,500. Park entry permit may be required.
- Fans who bring two Hy-Vee canned food items to specific Sunday Omaha Storm Chasers games will receive one FREE McDonald’s Berm ticket. Must redeem at Werner Park Ticket Office.
- Family Movie Night – 5:30 p.m. (Doors open and activities); 6 p.m. – Movie
- Friday, May 15 – Tangled
- Friday, June 19 – Big Hero 6 (PG)
- Friday, July 10 – Muppets Most Wanted (PG)
- Friday, Aug 28 – Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (PG)
- PLAY Exhibit at Kaneko + Free Game Nights – May 30 – August 16
- Sand in the City – June 6 – 7
- Laser Art Show Exhibit – June 12 – August 22
- College World Series Fan Fest – June 13 – 23/24 (Opening Celebration Day and CWS Fan Fest)
- Bank of the West Celebrates America – June 26
- Railroad Days – July 11 – 12, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Although not free, it is a wonderful deal with purchase of an All Aboard Pass for $15/family (max. 2 adults + $5 addl. adult) which includes admission and transportation to all locations – Durham Museum, Lauritzen Gardens, Union Pacific Railroad Museum, RailsWest Railroad Museum, and the Historic General Dodge House.)
- World O! Water – September 12
- Omaha has many Fun and Free Spraygrounds and Splash Parks to stay cool on a hot summer day!
- Enjoy many FREE Summer Concerts, perfect for relaxing on a warm summer evening!
- FREE local and national summer reading programs available for kids and teens, with great rewards and prizes!
FREE fun family activity this summer with Wildlife Encounters at your local library! Some reading programs require registration. Please contact your local library for any additional details and to confirm dates, times, and locations.
- June 1st – South Omaha Library Branch – 3:00pm
- June 2nd – Benson Branch – 4:00pm
- June 3rd – Sump Memorial Library – 1:00pm and 3:00pm
- June 6th – Millard Branch – 1:00pm
- June 10th – Baright Public Library – 1:30pm
- June 16th – La Vista Public Library – 10:30am
- June 17th – Saddlebrook Public Library – 10:30am
- June 17th – Gretna Public Library – 3:00pm
- June 18th – Ashland Public Library – 10:00am
- June 22nd – Abrahams Public Library – 6:30pm
- June 23rd – Blair Public Library – 10:30am
Have a wonderful summer!
It is always a good idea to verify the information with the business before visiting.
Other helpful resources:
- Omaha Kids Calendar
- 50+ Things to Do in Omaha this Summer with Kids
- Kids Eat Free
- Things to Do with Kids in Omaha