Find more activities and events in the Omaha Kids Calendar and Free Family Activities in Omaha! Be sure to Follow Us on Facebook or Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter to keep updated on the latest Omaha fun!
2014 Free Summer Activities Coming Soon!
Jump directly to your favorite FREE summer activity!
- Community Celebrations
- Family Fishing Events
- Farmer’s Markets
- Festivals and Special Events
- Hydrant Parties
- Kids Bowl Free
- Kids Programs
- Kids Skate Free
- Nebraska’s Great Park Pursuit
- Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rec’s Kids Club Summer Program
- Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Spraygrounds and Splash Parks
- Summer Concerts
- Summer Reading Programs
Community Celebrations (click for details)
- Enjoy parades, community cookouts, games, dances, live music, fireworks, plus more at many Omaha Area Community Celebrations!
Family Fishing Events
- The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission sponsors Free Family Fishing Events across the state where people of all ages can learn to fish! Look for the Family Fishing Trailer where loaner rods and reels, bait, and fishing instruction are available free to participants. See the full calendar and detailed information here!
Farmer’s Markets (click for details)
- Bellevue Farmers Market / Flea Market - Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. May 18 – September 14, Washington Park on Franklin Street at West 20th Avenue, Bellevue
- Benson Farmers Market - Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. May 4 – September 28, Military Avenue at Maple Street
- Charles Drew Health Center Market - Wednesdays, 3 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. July 10 — October 2, 2915 Grant Street
- Florence Mill Farmers Market - Sundays, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. June 2 – September 29, 9102 North 30th Street
- Main Street Farmers Market Council Bluffs - Thursdays, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. May – September, Corner of 9th Avenue and South Main Street, Council Bluffs
- Omaha Farmer’s Market in Aksarben Village – Sundays, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. May 5 — October 20, 67th and Center
- Omaha Farmer’s Market in the Old Market – Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. May 4 — October 19, 11th & Jackson Streets
- Papillion Market Faire – Wednesdays, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. June 5 – September 18, 1st Street Plaza located off 84th and 1st Street in Downtown Papillion (New Location in 2013!)
- Wohlner’s Midweek Market at Midtown Crossing - Wednesdays, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. May 1 – September 25, Parking garage next to Wohlner’s at 33rd and Dodge
- Village Pointe Farmers Market - Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. May 4 – October 5, 168th & Dodge
Festivals and Special Events
- Santa Lucia Festival - June 6 – 9
- Summer Arts Festival – June 7 – 9
- Sand in the City – June 8 – 9
- College World Series – June 14 – 26 (Opening Celebration Day and CWS Fan Fest)
- Bank of the West Celebrates America – June 28
- Railroad Days – July 13 – 14, 9-5 p.m. (Although not free, it is a wonderful deal with purchase of an All Aboard Pass for $15/family (max. 2 adults + $5 each addl. adult) which includes admission and transportation to all locations – Durham Museum, Lauritzen Gardens, Union Pacific Railroad Museum, RailsWest Railroad Museum, and the Historic General Dodge House.)
- World O! Water – September 7, 12-4 p.m.
- Register your children and they will receive two free games every day all summer! (Shoe rental may be required.) Parents can purchase a family pass, if they wish, so they can bowl with their kids. Select your favorite Bowling Center in Nebraska or in other states to sign up!
- FREE Kids Programs in Omaha
- Home Depot Kids Workshops - first Saturday of each month, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m, for children ages 5-12.
- Free Crafts at Lakeshore Learning Stores – Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinics - select Saturdays at 10 a.m. and select Sundays at 2 p.m., for children in grades 1st-5th.
- Michaels Kids Club - occasional Free Family Craft Time, plus Kids Club on Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., on the 1/2 hour, $2
- Shadow Lake Towne Center Kids Club - normally held the second Thursday of each month at 10:30 a.m., at a different location inside Shadow Lake Towne Center.
- Westroads Kids Club - first Wednesday of every month from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. on the upper level, near the children’s play area.
- A nationwide program that offers free skating all summer long. In Omaha, this includes SkateDaze! Passes valid for children 12 years old and younger. Register to begin receiving your skating passes!
Movies (click for details)
- Movie Nights at Camp Fontanelle 2013 – Saturdays, May 11 – August 31 (every 2 weeks), FREE
- LoessFest at River’s Edge Park, Council Bluffs – May 29, June 5, FREE
- Starlight Movie Series at Sumtur Amphitheater – FREE
- Monday Night at the Movies at Midtown Crossing – Mondays, June 3 – July 29, FREE
- Regal Summer Movie Express – June 4 – July 31 (Tuesdays & Wednesdays at 10 a.m.), $1
- La Vista Concerts & Movies – June 7, July 12, August 9, 7 p.m., FREE
- Music and Movies in the Park – Bayliss Park, Council Bluffs, June 7 – August 9, FREE
- Free Family Flicks at Aksarben Cinema – June 12 – August 1 (Wednesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m.), FREE (canned food donation appreciated)
- Kid’s Dream Summer Film Series at Marcus Theaters - June 18 – August 15 (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, 10 a.m.), $2
- Family Movie Night at Salvation Army Kroc Center – 6:30 p.m., June 21, July 26, August 16, FREE
- Cox Music and Movies at Holland Center East Lawn – Fridays, July 12-26, FREE
- A FREE outdoor adventure throughout Nebraska from 5/1-9/16, where participants can visit up to 20 local, state or federal parks. At each park, visitors follow clues to find the post and make a nature impression. Impressions are mailed in, reflecting the total number of parks visited. Entry into prize drawings are based on the number of impressions collected. There are a few near Omaha and Lincoln!
- Canned Food Sunday – During select Omaha Storm Chasers Sunday home games, bring a canned food item and receive a FREE McDonald’s Berm General Admission ticket.
- Rec’s Kids Club 2013 Summer program starts June 3rd, Monday – Friday, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. It combines a variety of activities geared around the weekly theme such as crafts, games, sports, swimming, special events and field trips for youth ages 6-12 yrs. Suggested donation of $35. Check here for participating community centers and schedule!
- Summer Nights - FREE, Fun Events All Summer Long! Twice a month on Wednesdays, 6:30-8 p.m.
- 6/5 Kick-Off Event: Outdoor Concert
- 6/19 Outdoor Yard Games
- 7/10 Summer Night Inside
- 7/24 Minute to Win It
- 8/22 Omaha Conservatory of Music performance featuring the Frontier String Ensemble
- 8/29 Outdoor Picnic on the Plaza
- SAFE Event – Sunday, June 9, 2-5 p.m. Families will enjoy some safe fun with Omaha’s Police Officers! (Children must be accompanied by an adult.) Safety Demos, Bike raffle and prizes, Free food, face painting, clowns and more
- Father’s Day Picnic – Sunday, June 16, 12:30 p.m. Meal to be served promptly at 12:30 p.m., old-fashioned fun and games to follow at 1 p.m. RSVP BY JUNE 12. Food and beverages are complimentary, however, reservations are required.
- Family Movie Night – 6:30 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free popcorn, too!
- June 21 – Rise of the Guardians
- July 26 – The Sandlot
- August 16 – Wreck It Ralph
- The City of Omaha Parks and Recreation - 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, Memorial Day through Labor Day:
- Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
- Papillion Splash Pad at Schwer Park - 800 West Centennial Road, Papillion. 12-7 p.m. daily, Memorial Day through Labor Day. (map)
- Seymour Smith Park - 6802 Harrison St
- Shadow Lake Towne Center Sprayground - 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily, Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day.
- Stinson Park at Aksarben Village
Summer Concerts (click for details)
- Saturdays at Stinson in Aksarben Village - May 11 – August 31, 7 p.m.
- Bridge Beats Friday Night Music Series – May 17 – June 28, 7 p.m., Bob Kerrey Bridge Plaza
- Sounds of Summer Concert Series at Shadow Lake Towne Center - May 24 – August 30, Fridays, 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- LoessFest at River’s Edge Park, Council Bluffs – May 25 – June 8
- Vibes at Village Pointe Summer Concert Series - May 25 – August 31, Saturdays, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Bellevue Music in the Parks – June 6 – July 25 (no concert 7/4), Thursdays, 7 p.m., Washington Park, 20th & Franklin Streets
- La Vista Concerts & Movies – June 7, July 12, August 9, 7 p.m., La Vista Public Library, 9110 Giles Road
- Sumtur Sunday Unplugged – June – August, Sundays, 7:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
- Swingin’ at Sumtur Amphitheater Concert Series – June 6 – July 4, Thursdays, 7:30 p.m.
- Bank of the West Celebrates America – June 28, 6 p.m.-10 p.m., Memorial Park
- Jazz on the Green at Midtown Crossing - July 11 – August 15, Thursdays at 7:30 p.m.
- Special programs are held at many local libraries and through national programs that include incentives for reading and special events!
It is always a good idea to verify the information with the business before visiting. Other helpful resources: