Enjoy the best family-friendly things to do this October in Omaha!
Bookmark this page as many more events, including exciting Halloween activities, will be added as they are announced!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
PLEASE NOTE: Many events require pre-registration, have limited capacity, or offer timed slots. As things continue to change during this time, it is highly recommended to verify details, closures, cancelations, hours of operation, and any requirements or procedures for guests before visiting. Thank You!
2022 HALLOWEEN FUN GUIDES
BEST THINGS TO DO IN OCTOBER IN OMAHA
Jack O’Lantern World – Select days through Oct. 30 (starts between 6:35 -7:20 p.m., varying nightly), $20 – $24 [REGISTER]
- Walk this amazing trail filled with thousands of Jack O’lanterns hand carved by more than 50 artisans. Gather friends and family to experience a one-of-a-kind whimsical celebration of art, nature, and fall.
- Location: E. T. Mahoney State Park, 28500 W. Park Hwy., Ashland, NE.
Harvest Celebration at Arbor Day Farm – until Oct. 30
- Enjoy autumn-inspired activities at the Tree Adventure, Apple House Market, and Arbor Lodge Mansion, including:
- U-pick Apples and Pumpkins (beginning mid-Sept.) at the Tree Adventure. U-pick typically continues into mid-October, depending on weather and the harvest.
- Living History Weekends at Arbor Lodge.
- Pre-picked Apples, Apple Pie, Apple Donuts, Apple Cider, Caramel Apples, and more at the Apple House Market.
- NOTE: Activities take place at various times throughout the season. Check here for specific details.
- Location: Arbor Day Farm, 2611 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE.
- See more Apple Orchards here!
Skinny Bones Pumpkin Patch – Until Oct. 31
- Skinny Bones Pumpkin Patch is a place to have fun with attractions for all ages. Family-owned and operated for 13 years, it is their goal to help your family make a memory together that you’ll share for years. You are going to want to stock up on their famous kettle corn, caramel apples, and homemade fudge as well.
- Location: 3935 State Highway 133, Blair, NE.
- See more Pumpkin Patches here!
FallFest – Saturday, Oct. 1 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.), FREE
- Celebrate the fall season with guided nature hikes, fall crafts, s’mores, archery, outdoor games, cornhole, and more!
- Location: Hummel Park Nature Center, 3033 Hummel Rd., Omaha, NE.
Living History Weekend – Oct 1 – 2 (11 a.m. – 4 p.m.), $9 adults/$7 youth (ages 3-12), State Park Permit required
- Step back in time to see historic trades, talents, and other demonstrations come alive inside Arbor Lodge Mansion and out on the beautiful grounds during Living History Weekends at Arbor Day Farm.
- A valid Nebraska Park Entry Permit is required for all vehicles to enter the park and can be purchased at the site. Mansion admission is $9/adult, $7/youth (age 3-12). Purchase Arbor Lodge tickets in advance here.
- Location: Arbor Day Lodge, 2611 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE.
Ghouls & Glow at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium – Oct. 7 – 9, 14 – 16, 21 – 30 (6:30 – 10 p.m.), This is a ticketed event [REGISTER]
- This zero frightful and all delightful event is an illuminated spectacle for all ages. More than 400 larger-than-life lanterns, custom-made for the Zoo, will illuminate the Bay Family’s Children’s Adventure Trails. Visitors will encounter dancing skeletons, candy monsters, jack-o-lanterns, ghosts, witches, wizards, spider web arches, sugar skulls with elements of nature, an eerie house, a mummy band, and other friendly ghouls. A number of bats, vultures, spiders, and black cats will also light up the trails.
- New this year: at Fisherman’s Landing picnic pavilion, guests can purchase and enjoy a s’mores kit, or pick a miniature pumpkin to decorate and take home. Visitors can also take a ride on Sue’s Carousel. The Zoo has added something new for parents, too – on Friday and Saturday nights, two bars will be available with seasonal alcoholic drinks.
- Trick-or-treating is back as a nightly event again! To help the Zoo stay green, guests should bring their own bag to collect treats.
- Online ticket purchases are encouraged. If purchased onsite at the Zoo, prices increase $3 per ticket.
- Location: 3701 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.
Friday Night Movies at Ditmars Orchard & Vineyard – Oct. 7, 14, 21 & 28 (varies based on sunset), FREE
- Enjoy an outdoor movie at Ditmars this fall! The playground will be open for play beforehand but will close once the movie begins for safety precautions. Bring your own blankets, chairs, and bug spray and enjoy the gorgeous views, sunsets, and fall nights:
- Oct. 7: The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Oct. 14: E.T.: The Extraterrestrial
- Oct. 21: Beetlejuice
- Oct. 28: Ghostbusters
- Location: 19475 225th St., Council Bluffs, IA.
Johnson Lake Halloween Haunt set for Oct. 8
Johnson Lake State Recreation Area will host pumpkin painting and a campsite-decorating contest Oct. 8 during the Johnson Lake Halloween Haunt.
The pumpkin painting will take place from 1-3 p.m. at Area C. Campsite decoration judging will begin at 6 p.m. at the main campground, with prizes going to the top three finishers. Trunk or treating will take place from 3-5 p.m. in the boat parking area.
Arrowhead Chili Fest – Saturday, Oct. 8 (4 p.m.), FREE with park admission ($3/vehicle daily pass)
- Enjoy a warm bowl of chili in the crisp fall air at the Arrowhead Park Chili Fest. Plus, there will be pumpkin painting, hayrack rides, and trick-or-treating.
- Location: Arrowhead Park, 29357 310th St., Neola, IA.
Fireworks Bonanza – Saturday, Oct. 8 (5 – 7:30 p.m.), FREE (Bring $ for food trucks)
- Enjoy time together outdoors with others! Activities include face painting, giant bounce houses, live music, and fireworks!
- Location: StoneBridge Christian Church (Omaha Campus), 15801 Butler Ave., Omaha, NE.
Toddler Tuesday: Halloween Storytime – Oct. 11 (10:30 a.m.), FREE
- This storytime features The Halloween Kid, a thrilling tale about a rootin’ tootin’ kid-hero who saves Halloween. Then, kids will get to decorate a trick-or-treat bag to take home.
- Location: Fat Brain Toys, 16909 Burke St., Omaha, NE.
It is all about pumpkins at Calamus State Recreation Area on Oct. 15.
The Calamus Pumpkin Carvers Event, from 9:30 a.m.-10 p.m., will include pumpkin carving, games with prizes, downhill pumpkin rolling derby, food, campsite decorating, trick-or-treating and lighted pumpkin displays.
Fontenelle Family Fishing Frenzy – Saturday, Oct. 15 (10 a.m. – 12 p.m.), FREE
- Learn about trout fishing and all there is to know about catching this popular fish.
- Location: Fontenelle Park, 4405 Fontenelle Blvd., Omaha, NE.
RECtoberfest – Oct. 15 (1 – 4 p.m.), FREE
- This free outdoor event is designed for kids ages 12-18 with field day activities, carnival games, music, and lots of prizes!
- Location: Tom Hanafan River’s Edge Park, 4200 Avenue B, Council Bluffs, IA.
Click Clack Duck Visits Storytime – Oct. 15 – 22 (varies by location), FREE
- Join in for storytime and meet Click Clack Duck. There will be opportunities to take pictures.
- Oct. 15 (10:30 – 11 a.m.): W. Clarke Swanson Branch Library, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., Omaha, NE.
- Oct. 16 (2 – 2:30 p.m.): Milton R. Abrahams Branch Library, 5111 N. 90th St., Omaha, NE.
- Oct. 17 (10:30 – 11 a.m.): Saddlebrook Branch Library, 14850 Laurel Ave., Omaha, NE.
- Oct. 18 (10 – 10:30 a.m.): A.V. Sorensen Branch Library, 4808 Cass St., Omaha, NE.
- Oct. 21 (10:30 – 11 a.m.): Willa Cather Branch Library, 1905 S. 44th St., Omaha, NE.
- Oct. 21 (10:30 – 11 a.m.): Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch Library, 2100 Reading Plz., Elkhorn, NE.
- Oct. 22 (10:30 – 11 a.m.): Benson Branch Library, 6015 Binney St., Omaha, NE.
Baseballoween – Oct. 21 (5 – 8 p.m.), FREE
- Wear your favorite costume and trick-or-treat around the concourse. This year a movie will be played on the video board.
- Location: Werner Park, 12356 Ballpark Way, Papillion, NE.
Halloween in the Hollow is Oct. 22
Come out to Ash Hollow State Historical Park and celebrate Halloween in the Hollow on Oct. 22 from 2-6 p.m. Mountain time.
There will be kids’ games, s’mores, pumpkin picking and decorating, a scavenger hunt, hayrack rides and a costume contest, which begins at 4:30 p.m.
At 5 p.m., Trunk or Treat will be sponsored by Nebraska Game and Parks Commission conservation officers, area emergency medical services and law enforcement, with their vehicles available to view.
Fat Brain Toys’ 20th Birthday Party with The Bug Guy – Oct. 22 (11 a.m.), FREE
- Children will enjoy a special presentation from the Bug Guy featuring a variety of creepy-crawly critters. The first 50 kids to arrive will get to go home with their own mini bug jar!
- Location: Fat Brain Toys, 16909 Burke St., Omaha, NE.
Parent/Tot Fall Party – Oct. 25 (10 a.m. – Noon), FREE
- storytime, crafts, the bounce house, and playtime in the gym. Ages 6 and younger.
- Location: A.V. Sorensen Community Center, 4808 Cass St., Omaha, NE.
Spooktacular Storytime – Oct. 25 (10:30 – 11:30 a.m.), FREE
- Storytime in the Commons, followed by trick-or-treating, a story walk, craft, and more! Costumes are encouraged but not required.
- Location: Saddlebrook Branch Library, 14850 Laurel Ave., Omaha, NE.
The Great HALL-oween Haunt – Oct. 25 (5 – 8 p.m.), FREE for members, Non-Member Pricing: $13/adult, $10/senior: $10, $7/child (3-12): $7, and FREE for little ones age 2 & under
- Come in costume and trick-or-treat from historical characters and spooktacular displays located throughout the museum, play ghostly games, make creepy crafts, and check out the spooky (but not scary) Haunted Train.
- Location: The Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.
Trick-or-Treat the Library – Oct. 26 (9:45 – 10:45 a.m.), FREE
- Wear your costume, bring your treat bucket, and drop in and trick-or-treat around the Library. For kids ages 5 years old and younger and an adult companion.
- Location: Council Bluffs Library, 400 Willow Ave., Council Bluffs, IA.
Creepy Carrots Escape Room – Oct. 29 (1:30 – 3:30 p.m.), FREE [REGISTER]
- You will be “locked” in a meeting room with puzzles, clues, and a few hints, to see if you can figure out how to get out of our haunted escape room! Help Jasper Rabbit escape the Creepy Carrots before he eats all of our Halloween candy and maybe snag a piece for yourself as well!
- Location: W. Clarke Swanson Branch Library, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., Omaha, NE.
JUNK IN THE TRUNK | Family Fun Day – Oct. 30 (10 a.m. – Noon), FREE
- Sunday Celebration will include trunk-or-treating, games, prizes, a costume contest, and more!
- Location: Schenzel Community Center, 2220 N. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
Ghoulish Garden Adventure – Oct. 30 (12 – 4 p.m.), Included with regular admission
- Explore a variety of educational and fun activity stations throughout the garden. Learn about the mysteries of nature, get up close and personal with the amazing creatures that make the fall so festive, and make your very own crafts to take home.
- Location: Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St., Omaha, NE.
- Visit a variety of local donut shops this Fall including the popular Apple Cider Doughnuts!
- Fall is perfect for sharing Ice Cream with friends – including the Tower, an old-fashioned Soda Fountain, and more!
- Choose from a variety of locations that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories!
- Day Trips, Road Trips, Cabins to Rent, and more!
Members of certain libraries can check out a pass to visit one of the following locations:
- Durham Museum – Members of all 12 Omaha Public Library branches, Bellevue Public Library, Bennington Public Library, Council Bluffs Public Library, Fremont Public Library.
- Fontenelle Forest – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Lauritzen Gardens – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Venture on a hiking or walking trail in the Omaha area with kids!
- Some of our favorites include the Waterfall Trail at Platte River State Park and the scenic trails at Hitchcock Nature Center.
- The Omaha Area is full of neighborhood parks with walking trails, playgrounds, swings, picnic areas, and more!
- Enjoy the outdoors with tips for 8 of the best places to go camping near Omaha.
- Looking for a great Day Trip near Omaha? Check out these fun ideas for nearby adventures!
- Looking for a little getaway with your family? Choose from a variety of Road Trip ideas that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories with your family!
FIND MORE HELPFUL RESOURCES:
We do our best to share current information in Family Fun in Omaha, but event details may change. It is always a good idea to verify the information before visiting.
Have a wonderful fun-filled October!
We Look Forward to These Events Returning: (Events TBA)
We are looking forward to the return of these fun events. These events will be updated as information becomes available.
- Location: 28210 W. Park Hwy., Ashland, NE.
The Great American Pumpkin Palooza at Master’s Hand – TBA for 2022
- Location: Master’s Hand, 3599 County Road F, Tekamah, NE. (about 50 minutes North of Omaha)