Enjoy the best family-friendly things to do this December in Omaha including Ice Skating, Bright Nights at Lauritzen Gardens, Winter Wonderland, Festivals, Tons of Holiday Events, New Years Eve events, + more!
Photo Credit: Lauritzen Gardens
Keep updated on the latest Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Please Note: It is always a good idea to verify before visiting as details may change.
2021 Holiday Fun Guides
PLEASE NOTE: Many events require pre-registration, have limited capacity, or offer timed slots. As things continue to change during this time, it is highly recommended to verify details, closures, cancelations, hours of operation, and any requirements or procedures for guests before visiting. Thank You!
BEST THINGS TO DO IN DECEMBER IN OMAHA
- Enjoy many Family-Friendly Holiday Events in Omaha including Family Fun Days, Holiday Celebrations, Santa Visits, Christmas Lights, and more!
- Find the best Christmas Lights in Omaha full of beautifully decorated houses with bright lights, inflatables, decorations, and some with thousands of lights choreographed to music!
Santa’s Magic at Omaha Children’s Museum – Nov. 26 – Dec. 23, Included with regular admission.
- Santa is returning to OCM, bringing a little holiday magic with him.
- Location: 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
It’s a Wonderful Life at The Rose Theater – Dec. 3 – 19, 2021 (various times), Tickets available for purchase. Members received 4 tickets to show. [Reservations Required.]
- Celebrate the holidays with the very first show ever presented at The Rose Theater in 1995! Meet George Bailey, whose guardian angel has to descend on Christmas Eve to save him from despair and to remind him that his has been, after all, a wonderful life.
- Location: The Rose Theater, 2001 Farnam St., Omaha, NE.
Holiday Poinsettia Show at Lauritzen Gardens – Nov. 20 – Jan. 3, 2022; (9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily, closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day), Included with regular admission
- Thousands of poinsettias bursting with rich, vibrant color fill the floral display hall in a glowing tribute to the holidays during the spectacular holiday poinsettia show.
- Experience a multitude of festive delights during Bright Nights, as flowers and foliage combine with light to make the season Merry & Bright!
- Location: Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St. Omaha.
Holiday Skate at Motto McLean Ice Arena – Various dates Nov. 23 – Jan. 4
- $4 per person and skate rental is included.
- Location: 5015 S. 45th St., Omaha, NE.
- Find more places to go ice skating here!
Christmas at Union Station – Nov. 26 – Jan. 9, Included with regular admission.
- This long-standing tradition features Omaha’s official Christmas tree, special events, and Santa himself (with visits 6 days a week. Visit Durham Museum for schedule.)
- Location: The Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.
Hanukkah Activities at Omaha Children’s Museum – Nov. 28 – Dec. 6, Included with museum admission
- Come learn about the Jewish holiday and why it’s called the Festival of Lights. All activities included with admission.
- Location: The Omaha Children’s Museum, 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
- Most open Thanksgiving Weekend.
- Choose from a variety of Christmas Tree Farms near Omaha that offer Choose and Cut your own Christmas Tree.
Lights on Dundee – Dec. 2 (5 – 8 p.m.)
- A night of holiday cheer for all ages – including photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus, annual Gingerbread Contest, Christmas carols sung by local students, and activities from local businesses.
- Location: Underwood Ave. (49th – 51st), Dundee, NE.
Archery on Fire at Platte River State Park – Dec. 4 (11 a.m. – 4 p.m.), State Park Permit required
- Join in the fun at Platte River State Park’s Roger G. Sykes Outdoor Heritage Education Complex for a day of learning about archery! Bring the whole family. Equipment is provided and knowledgeable staff will be there to help.
- Location: Platte River State Park, 14421 346th St, Louisville, NE
Christmas in the Village – Sat. Dec. 4 (12 – 5 p.m.)
- Community Celebration and Holiday Tradition at 24th & Lake. Please follow guidelines and wear your mask and social distance.
- Location: 24th & Lake
KETV Drive-Thru Family Festival – Dec. 5 (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- This drive-through experience will include picking up craft kits to do as a family, holiday characters and Santa, Police Officers on their horses, and holiday entertainment – all in the warmth and safety of your vehicle. The first 500 vehicles will receive a complimentary book, courtesy of Omaha Public Library.
- Volunteers will be on hand to collect food donations for the Shine the Light on Hunger campaign, so bring nonperishable food with you if you wish to contribute.
- Location: Omaha Police Mounted Patrol Barn, 615 Leavenworth St., Omaha.
Illuminate Inclusion – Dec. 10 – 11 (5 – 9 p.m.), FREE (Donations welcome)
- Grab your hot chocolate, load the family into the car, and drive-thru the Illuminate Inclusion holiday light display at Zorinsky Lake!
- Donations will be accepted to help make the accessible and inclusive playground at Zorinsky a reality.
- Location: Zorinsky Lake Park, Water Park Entrance, 3808 S. 154th St., Omaha, NE.
Winter Wonderland – Holiday Festival at the Forest – December 11 – 17 (Extended hours: 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.), Included with admission
- All, Day, Every Day: Step into a Winter Wonderland in their Great Hall, beautifully decorated with holiday trees and wreaths. Then, bundle up and enjoy their Holiday Trail of Lights, as you stroll the first loop of their lighted Riverview Boardwalk. Warm up with some complimentary hot cocoa or tea, as you enjoy the day’s festive activities. There will be an ornament decorating self-serve station. All activities are free for members or with daily admission for non-members. No registration is needed unless otherwise noted.* All other activities are drop-in events. See schedule of special events here.
- Location: 1111 Bellevue Blvd. N., Bellevue.
Bubbly New Year’s Eve Party at Omaha Children’s Museum – Dec. 31, Included with admission.
- Bubble wrap stomp, a goody bag to take home, and other bubble-themed activities. They will hold multiple bubble drops throughout the day so every family can take part in a festive countdown.
- Location: 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
New Year’s Eve Fireworks Spectacular – Dec. 31 (7 p.m.), FREE
- Enjoy the spectacular firework show in the warmth and safety of your vehicle or home!
- Arrive early and park for FREE to view the up-close show in the recommended viewing areas listed here.
- The fireworks will be launched from Parking Lot D of the CHI Health Center.
- Visit a variety of local donut shops this season!
- Choose from a variety of locations that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories!
- Day Trips, Road Trips, Cabins to Rent, and more!
Members of certain libraries can check out a pass to visit one of the following locations:
- Durham Museum – Members of all 12 Omaha Public Library branches, Bellevue Public Library, Bennington Public Library, Council Bluffs Public Library, Fremont Public Library.
- Fontenelle Forest – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Lauritzen Gardens – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Venture on a hiking or walking trail in the Omaha area with kids!
- Some of our favorites include the Waterfall Trail at Platte River State Park (beautiful in Winter!) and the scenic trails at Hitchcock Nature Center.
- Looking for a great Day Trip near Omaha? Check out these fun ideas for nearby adventures!
- Looking for a little getaway with your family? Choose from a variety of Road Trip ideas that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories with your family!
2021 Holiday Fun Guides
We do our best to share current information in Family Fun in Omaha, but event details may change. It is always a good idea to verify the information before visiting.
Have a wonderful fun-filled December!