Looking for fun this March?
Enjoy the best family-friendly events this March in Omaha!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Family-Friendly EVENTS EACH WEEKEND plus more Omaha Fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Best March Events in Omaha
Washed Ashore: Art to Share a Life at Lauritzen Gardens – Jan. 20 – May 14, Included with regular admission
- Giant sculptures of sea life, made from marine debris collected on Oregon’s beaches, graphically illustrate the tragedy of plastic pollution in our ocean and waterways. The epic exhibit includes a titanic triggerfish, a pair of grand penguins, and an 11-foot-long shark named Chompers! More than a set of eye-catching sculptures, these thought-provoking pieces are designed to inspire conversations about conservation and generate positive changes and behaviors towards the environment.
- Location: Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St., Omaha, NE.
Join an Omaha Public Library youth services librarian behind the scenes at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium for a special storytime. Using the Zoom meeting app, experience stories, creative movement, music and more. Explore the early literacy skills of singing, playing, reading, talking and writing in each storytime.
St. Patrick’s Day Parade – March 11 (10 a.m. – 12:30), FREE
- The parade route will again be through Omaha’s Old Market beginning at 15th St. and Harney St., traveling east then turning south at 11th St. to Howard St., and then turning west and ending at 14th St.
Gnome Hunt at Arbor Day Farm, Nebraska City – March 11 – 18 (Tues.-Sun., closed Mondays), $11-$13 [PURCHASE TICKETS IN ADVANCE]
- Look high and low to find gnomes and discover their hiding places using a set of clues as you journey throughout the Tree Adventure.
- Purchase tickets in advance.
- Location: Arbor Day Farm Tree Adventure, 2611 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE. (about 1 hour South of Omaha)
LES MISÉRABLES – March 7th – 12th
- Orpheum Theater
- Cameron Mackintosh presents the acclaimed production of Boublil and Schönberg’s Tony Award®-winning musical phenomenon, LES MISÉRABLES. Set against the backdrop of 19th century France, LES MISÉRABLES is a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit. Seen by over 130 million people worldwide in 53 countries and 22 languages, LES MISÉRABLES is still undisputedly “one of the greatest musicals ever created” (Chicago Tribune).
St Patrick’s Cornhole Tournament – March 11, 2023 (Check in at 1:30 pm)
- Where: Nebraska Brewing Company
- $25 per person, 2 people per team.
- Annual cornhole tournament for Quakes softball! Come one come all. Looking for teams of 2 that want to have some fun. These girls are headed off to college soon. Trying to make their last year a fantastic one.
- More info email [email protected]
Dreamgirls – March 3rd – 26th
Hawks Mainstage Theatre
A trio of women soul singers catch their big break during an amateur competition. But will their friendship—and their music—survive the rapid rise from obscurity to pop super stardom? with dazzling costumes and powerhouse vocal performances, this Tony and Grammy Award-winning musical is inspired by some of the biggest musical acts of the 1960s—The Supremes, The Shirelles, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and more.
Candylane Family Fun Weekend – March 10 – 12 (during museum hours), Included with regular admission
- Friday: 9 am to 4 pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 9 am to 5 pm
- Enjoy sweet treats as you play Candyland around the museum! A life-size board will lead you to different activities such as making candy-themed crafts, building and racing Mr. Mint’s Mini Candy-Mobiles, painting with Skittles! And you won’t want to miss our Sweet Tooth Science Show. Have your cameras ready for character appearances all weekend long!
- Location: Omaha Children’s Museum, 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
- While Joslyn is closed, two favorite programs for young learners and their adult chaperones—Art Adventures and Story Adventures—will take new shape at Omaha Public Library branches around town. Retooled as Art Adventures Visits Storytime, this free drop-in program will include a themed storytime, presented by a librarian and complete with songs and creative movement, plus a hands-on art activity inspired by a Museum work that connects to the day’s theme. Sessions are geared toward preschoolers, but all ages are welcome to participate in the fun.
- Charles B. Washington Branch
- Four sessions will be presented at the Washington branch.
- Beginning Monday, January 9 at 10:30 am, and continuing on the second Monday of each month, through April. Come to one or all—or join us at another neighborhood branch next season.
St Patrick’s Day English Country Dance – March 17 (Doors Open at 6:30 pm)
- This dance will be hosted at Northwest Hills Church, 9334 Fort St, Omaha. To reach the basement, drive around to the back of the building. Dancing starts promptly at 7pm, with doors opening at 6:30.
- Cost to attend our regular, informal events is $3 per person, or $15 per family. Ages 10+ recommended.
- Drinks provided(no alcohol at this celebration)
Washed Ashore Community Clean up – March 18th (10:00 – 2:00 pm)
- Join Lauritzen Gardens for a community clean up event in honor of our new exhibit Washed Ashore and in partnership with Keep Omaha Beautiful. This clean up will be held on garden property at the river front. Prepare yourself to see a unique version of Omaha’s history, through the trash that’s left behind. Come to see what you can find and take part in the amazing effort to clean up our local environment.
Candyland Family Fun Weekend at Omaha Children’s Museum – March 18 – 22 (during museum hours), Included with regular admission
- Enjoy sweet treats as you play Candyland around the museum! A life-size board will lead you to different activities such as making candy-themed crafts, building and racing Mr. Mint’s Mini Candy-mobiles, and painting with Skittles. Plus, don’t miss the Sweet Tooth Science Show.
- Location: Omaha Children’s Museum, 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
Lowe’s DIY Kids Workshop – March 18. 10:00 a.m FREE [REGISTER]
- Gather your little builders to spread their DIY wings and craft a Cardinal Garden Ornament. Kids will learn basic building skills as they follow the steps to create a unique item for the garden.
- If you aren’t able to sign up for one of the expert hosted workshops, choose the 12:00 – 8:00 p.m. time slot to stop by to pick up a kit from Customer Service and enjoy building your kit at home.
- Register at your favorite location here, as space is limited.
LibraryCon – March 26 (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
Where: Sump Memorial Library
Do you love comics, pop culture, and geeking out as much as we do? If so, join us for our first ever LibraryCon! From 10am-2pm at Sump Memorial Library! We will have something for everyone including a cosplay competition, crafts, food trucks, and local vendors and artists. You might even spot a Ghostbuster or Storm Trooper walking around.
This hopes to mimic a ComicCon event by bringing together cosplay enthusiasts, local vendors and artists, and food trucks. There will be lots going on and the full schedule is on our website at: https://papillion.libcal.com/event/10322738.
2023 NFM Omaha Presents: Empowered: Women Who Lead The Way Panel and Brunch – March 26 (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Women in leadership from various industries will answer questions about their challenges and successes, getting to the core of what it takes to overcome as a woman in the world of business.Mingle and network with other women at brunch while supporting a good cause.All tickets sales from the event will be donated to Girls Inc., a nonprofit organization which encourages girls to be “Strong, Smart, and Bold” through direct service and advocacy.Tickets coming soon!
Teddy Bear Weekend at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium – March 26 – 27 (10 a.m. – 3 p.m.), Included with regular zoo admission or FREE for children (ages 3-11) who bring in their stuffed animal
- Bring your favorite stuffed animal to Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium for repair and care. Your beary brave stuffed animal will go through a health check-up including height, heartbeat, ear and eye exams and, if needed, a trip to the emergency room (The Emergency Room will be closing at 1 p.m. both days).
- Event activities are free to Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium members or with regular paid Zoo admission. Children, ages 3-11, who bring in their favorite stuffed animal will receive FREE admission to the Zoo with a paid adult.
- Location: 2200 Dodge St., Omaha, NE.
- Many have made special accommodations for this year including drive-thru or pick-up options. Find one here!
- Explore, discover, and learn at a variety of Spring Break Camps including with McGuigan Arts Academy where campers will get to build an outdoor art installation at Countryside Village!
- Choose from a variety of locations that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories!
- Are you looking for the perfect cabin to rent within 3 hours of Omaha? Choose from many cabin rentals near Omaha that offer a variety of activities, family-friendly amenities, and a chance to enjoy the great outdoors!
Members of certain libraries can check out a pass to visit one of the following locations:
- Durham Museum – Members of all 12 Omaha Public Library branches, Bellevue Public Library, Bennington Public Library, Council Bluffs Public Library, Fremont Public Library.
- Fontenelle Forest – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Lauritzen Gardens – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Browse our 2022 Summer Camp Guide available now! From Art Camps to Specialty Camps and themes for every age and interest, you are sure to find one for your kids.
- Exciting News! Now you can SEARCH SUMMER CAMPS by:
- Type of Camp (Theme, All-Day, Half-Day, Extended Care, + more!)
- Age Group
- Week of Camp
- Choose from a variety of local options to enjoy this fun sport!
The following events are TBA
Read Across America Day at La Vista Library
- Stop in, read for 15 minutes, and receive a special goody bag.
- Location: 9110 Giles Rd., La Vista, NE.
Seussathon Reading Marathon at Bellevue Public Library
- Join in a reading marathon for Read Across America Day. Plus, enjoy freebies, door prizes, and refreshments.
- Location: 1003 Lincoln Rd., Bellevue, NE.
Dr. Seuss Storytime & Craft at Learning Express of Omaha
- Celebrate Dr. Seuss’s Birthday with a The Cat in the Hat storytime.
- Location: 120 Regency Pkwy., Omaha, NE.
First Friday at the Union Pacific Museum
- Location: Union Pacific Museum, 200 Pearl St., Council Bluffs, IA.
Nebraska Brick Days – LEGO Fan Expo
- A fun, family LEGO event for all ages, featuring displays of custom creations, LEGO-inspired events, Minifig Speed Build, Brick-Built Derby, and more throughout the weekend.
- Location: Mid-America Center, 1 Arena Way, Council Bluffs, IA.
Tiny Tot Spring Party at A.V. Sorensen Community Center
- Enjoy storytime, crafts, games, and the bounce house!
- Location: 4808 Cass St., Omaha, NE.
NEW! Wetland Program at Heron Haven
- Topic for this month’s Wetland Program: Signs of Spring.
- Location: 11809 Old Maple Rd., Omaha, NE.
- Spielbound is hosting a free neighborhood-wide game comprised of a series of 10 puzzles across 10 retailers.
- Location: Midtown Crossing at Turner Park (Check-in at Spielbound, 3229 Harney St., Omaha, NE.)
Bass Pro Shops’ Spring Fishing Classic Kid’s Event
- Catch-and-release pool, crafts, photo download, and kid’s seminars.
- Location: 2901 Bass Pro Dr., Council Bluffs, IA.
Teddy Bear Weekend at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
- Children can bring their favorite stuffed animal to the zoo for repair and care. Stuffed animals will go through a check-up, including height, heartbeat, ear and eye exams, and, if needed, a trip to the emergency room.
- Children ages 3-11 who bring in their favorite stuffed animal will receive FREE admission to the Zoo with a paid adult.
- Location: 3701 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.