The weekend is almost here, and there are many free (or almost free) fun family activities both locally and nationally to enjoy! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Win tickets to Vala’s Pumpkin Patch!
- Family-Friendly Halloween Events in Omaha
- Omaha Area Pumpkin Patches and Fall Festivals 2012
- Free Fall Fun in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
First Friday Old Market – 10/5, 6-9pm
- Held the first Friday of each month, 6-9pm, First Friday is a free event celebrating local creativity in Omaha’s most historic neighborhood.
- Local food from Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota farmers held on Saturdays, 8 am to 1 pm, Rain or Shine. Celebrate the final day with free festivities for everyone. Live Music • Arts & Crafts Booths • Car Show. For The Kids – Hayrack Rides • Pumpkin Decorating • Bounce House, Face Painting • Giveaways & Stickers
- Along with a Bounce House, face painting, art demonstrations and take along crafts…there will be performers on the main stage. Theresa’s Tae Kwondo at 9 am, Heartland Youth Ballet at 9:30 am, Michael Fitzsimmons at 10 am, Papillion LaVista Arts Network performers from 11- 12pm.
- Saturday, October 6, 10-4 and Sunday, October 7, 11-4. Enjoy a day of old fashioned fun on the farm! Friendly farm animals, games, raffle prizes, pony rides, hay rack ride, food and much more! Come and play in our brand new Outdoor Nature Classroom, too! Admission $5 includes hay rack ride and Gifford Farm programs. All proceeds go towards Gifford Farm Missouri River Flood fund.
Touch-A-Truck – 10/6, 11am-3pm
- Don’t miss Child Saving Institute’s 6th annual Touch-A-Truck event. The CSI’s Guild’s exciting “friend-raiser” is a free event for the entire family where children can see and climb on “real life” vehicles. Kids, accompanied by their parents or guardian, can explore emergency and military vehicles, semi-trucks, bobcats, race cars and other commercial vehicles and talk to the people who operate them. Other activities will include face-painting, prizes, bouncy tents, food, clowns and more. Held at First Data/UNO Parking Lots, 69th and Pacific.
- Omaha’s Ultimate Husker Tailgate Party! We’ll watch the game on a giant screen, meet and greet with Johnny Rodgers and cheer the huskers onto victory! The park opens at 5.
Community Safety and Wellness Festival – 10/7, 11am-4pm
- Community Safety & Wellness Festival held at Embassy Suites LaVista provides fun, educational, family friendly entertainment and seminars for all ages. Food, FREE books, FREE entertainment, interactive exhibits and prizes! Enjoy The Amazing Arthur, Jered the Incredible, Face Painting, Balloon Artistry, Stilt Walking, Airbrush Tattooing, Strolling Magic and Celebrity Mascots. Thanks Omaha Area Kiddie Fun!
Papillion’s First Annual Kite Fly – 10/7, 12-4pm
- This free fun-filled day will include demonstrations from the American Kitefliers Association, areas for the public to fly their own kites and candy drops for the kids all throughout the afternoon. Bring your lawn chair and your kite for a fun day flying the skies of Papillion. This will be held at the Recreation Activity Fields, 1100 W. Lincoln Street, Papillion, NE.
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
- Home Depot offers FREE kid’s workshops on the first Saturday of each month, from 9am-12pm. They are designed for children ages 5-12. Workshops teach children do-it-yourself skills, tool safety and instill a sense of pride and accomplishment. All kids get to keep their craft and receive a FREE Kids Workshop Apron, commemorative pin and certificate of achievement.
- Saturday, October 6, 2012 – Fire Truck
- Join us for readings, crafts, activities, Star Wars character events, author visits and more.
- We will read Star Wars books and have fun activities, giveaways, trivia, and more (while supplies last). Dress-up encouraged! Free event.
Marcus Theatres POP 3D Family Film Series – 10/6, 10am; 10/7, 11am
- Throughout October, Marcus Theatres is offering four weeks of family-friendly 3D movies for only $3! The POP 3D Family Film Series will feature favorites Saturdays at 10am and Sundays at 11am. Additionally, enjoy these concession specials: 46oz Popcorn or 14oz Sodas for Only $2 Each! In the Omaha area, this includes 20 Grand, Twin Creek in Bellevue, and Village Pointe.
- October 6-7: Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’hoole
Shadow Lake Towne Center Kids Club – 10/11, 10:30-11:30am – FULL
Marcus Theatres POP 3D Family Film Series - 10/13, 10am; 10/14, 11am
- October 13-14: Dolphin Tale
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Ghoul Bus – Oct 13, 2012
- Select Barnes & Noble stores will host a Harry Potter Halloween Party for ages 7 to 16 on Saturday, October 13. Dress up as your favorite Harry Potter character and join us for a scavenger hunt and costume contest.
- One Sky, One World Fly at the LaVista Soccer Complex, just South of 66th & Harrison Streets.
- We’ve got a full day of printing planned just for you. Stop by and visit the new exhibition “Under Pressure,” and enjoy a day of art-making and gallery fun with friends and family.
- This family friendly event is FREE and open to the public, and will be held at District 1 Station, 8110 Park View Blvd in LaVista.
Have a wonderful weekend!