Fall is beautiful in and around Omaha! We asked our readers to share their favorite areas and best scenic drives near Omaha to see Fall colors!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Best Places to See Fall Colors Near Omaha
Location: 1199 Bellevue Blvd N, Bellevue
Admission cost. Memberships available.
Trails, boardwalk, indoor and outdoor children’s play areas, and special programming.
** Members of Omaha Public Libraries, Council Bluffs Public Library, and Bellevue Public Library can check out a pass to visit Fontenelle Forest! Find out more here!
Location: 27792 Ski Hill Loop, Honey Creek, IA
Cost: Park permit required.
Picturesque area full of hiking trails, an observation tower, Visitors Center, and fun special events.
Location: 100 Bancroft St.
Admission Cost. Memberships available.
Stroll around the beautiful Botanical Gardens with paved walking paths. See a model train railroad, indoor Conservatory, Visitor Center, and many themed garden areas.
Members of Omaha Public Library or Council Bluffs Library can check out a pass to visit Lauritzen Gardens. Find out more here!
Location: 28500 West Park Hwy, Ashland, NE
Cost: Park Entry Permit is required
During the Fall, families can enjoy scenic drives, explore the park’s hiking and biking trails, visit the indoor playground, and climb the observation tower.
Location: 108th & Blondo
The OPPD arboretum is an outdoor education area where you can walk along paved pathways.
Location: 14421 346th St., Louisville, NE
Cost: Park Entry Permit is required.
Enjoy the park’s picturesque waterfall, scenic hiking and biking trails, and two observation towers that allow those who climb to the top a spectacular view of both the Platte River and Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, which is just across the river.
Location: 15810 Hwy 50, Louisville, NE
Cost: Park Entry Permit is required.
Families can explore a geologic display, feed fish in cool water trout ponds, tour the Schramm Education Center (admission), and enjoy a picnic on the bluffs.
Find More Beautiful Places here;
Best Scenic Drives to See Fall Colors Near Omaha
Highway 66 [Exit 426 between Omaha and Lincoln]
- Get off exit 426 between Omaha and Lincoln and enjoy the nearby attractions and scenic drive.
- Mahoney State Park – During the Fall, families can enjoy scenic drives, explore the park’s hiking and biking trails, visit the indoor playground, and climb the observation tower. Daily / Annual Park Entry Pass Required.
- Wildlife Safari Park – Drive-through and see elk, bison, deer, and more. In the middle of the park, you can get out of your car and walk to see the bears, wolves, petting corral, and eagle aviary. Hiking trails also available.
- Platte River State Park – Enjoy the park’s picturesque waterfall, scenic hiking and biking trails, and two observation towers that allow those who climb to the top a spectacular view of both the Platte River and Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, which is just across the river.
Hwy 75 [South toward Nebraska City and Indian Cave]
- Nebraska City is a favorite place to visit during the Fall and is popular for their apple picking, and experiencing the Tree Adventure at Arbor Day Farm.
- Cross over into Iowa to visit Waubonsie State Park.
- Indian Cave State Park is a popular camping spot, with beautiful overlooks and hiking trails.
- The Loess Hills National Scenic Byway passes through a unique land formation that is up to 15 miles wide and about 200 miles long from north of Sioux City, Iowa to near St. Joseph, Missouri.
- For inspiration and ideas, visit 5 Stops for a Fall Foliage Tour of the Loess Hills and 9 Best Fall Color Views in the Loess Hills.