Looking for things to do this January?
Enjoy the best family-friendly events this January in Omaha!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Family-Friendly EVENTS EACH WEEKEND plus more Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
It is always a good idea to verify before visiting as dates and times may change.
PLEASE NOTE: Many events require pre-registration, have limited capacity, or offer timed slots. As things continue to change during this time, it is highly recommended to verify details, closures, cancelations, hours of operation, and any requirements or procedures for guests before visiting. Thank You!
Best Things to Do in January in Omaha
- For Preschool Aged Children 3-5 years. Learning through creative play and developing self-love along the way! The Fine Arts Club is a fun and active program that allows preschoolers to develop social skills and talents at a young age. Children will enjoy dance, yoga, fitness, music, art and drama. This specialty program will enhance your child’s overall development by advancing motor skills and improving social cognitive and emotional awareness. It’s time to play, move, learn and grow!
- Explore a Variety of the Fine Arts
- Enjoy Dance, Yoga, Fitness, Music, Art and Drama
- Designed by Early Childhood Specialists
- The Best way for Preschoolers to Learn
- Sign-Up Today! | cherrieandersonstudio.com | 402-333-4426
First Day Hikes – Jan. 1, FREE (Park Entry Permit required)
- Kick-off the New Year in a memorable, fun way. State parks across Nebraska will be holding popular First Day Hikes Jan. 1 to celebrate the new year.
Runza Temperature Tuesdays – Tuesdays in January and February
- Each Tuesday in January and February, the temperature at 6 a.m. is the price of an Original Runza® Sandwich with purchase of a medium Fry and Medium Drink! Additions and substitutions are extra.
Kids Funfare – Thursdays in January and February – TBA 2023
- The 2022 Winter Kids Funfare is every Thursday from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. from January 6th to February 24th.
- Location: Regency Court Omaha, 120 Regency Parkway.
New Year’s Hike – Jan. 8 (2 – 4 p.m.), [REGISTER]
- Get a chance to explore all the trails at Hummel with guided Nature Hikes. RSVP online.
- Crafts and hot cocoa will be available in the Nature Center.
- Location: Hummel Nature Center, 3033 Hummel Rd., Omaha, NE.
Out & About Storytime: Chalco Hills – Monday, January 9 (10:30 – 11:00 a.m.)
Join us at different parks and places for storytime, featuring stories, creative movement, music and more. Storytime is geared toward preschoolers, but all ages are welcome. Rain or shine, we’ll be there! In January, we will learn about winter animals and hibernation.
- Location: Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha.
SAC Museum Indoor Air Show – TBA 2023
- The Indoor Air Show brings the fun and excitement of an air show inside with remote-controlled (R/C) and control line (C/L) models. Starting at 10:00 am, model pilots will demonstrate all of the loops, flips, and barrel rolls in the museum’s climate-controlled hangars. Several R/C clubs will fly throughout the day.
- Location: Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum, 28210 W. Park Hwy., Ashland, NE.
The Durham Museum Offers FREE ADMISSION on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Jan. 17 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.), FREE [RESERVATION REQUIRED]
- The museum will be open with free admission to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Ticket Information: There is no fee for admission, but advanced registration is required, and space is limited. Each person visiting must reserve a ticket in advance online or over the phone. This allows us to safely welcome guests and keep within our guidelines for capacity of our venue. This is the only method for admission at this time.
- Location: The Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.
Casa Madrigal Family Fun Weekend at Omaha Children’s Museum – Jan. 20 – 22, Included with Admission
- Join us for a weekend inspired by the fantastical Madrigal family’s Casita! Activities will include make-your-own Magic Candles, Encanto Science Shows, design-your-own family tree, engineer your own Casita, Bruno’s Sand Art, themed crafts, and a character meet-and-greet!Casa Madrigal Family Fun Weekend is part of our 2023 Family Fun Weekends series, sponsored by Runza. Activities are included with regular museum admission, while supplies last.
- Location: 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
Tiny Tot Winter Party & Storytime – Jan. 24 (10 a.m. – 12 p.m.), FREE
- Listen to stories, make a craft, and get the wiggles out in the gym and bounce house! This free event is for children ages 5 and younger.
- Location: A.V. Sorensen Branch Library, 4808 Cass St., Omaha NE.
Learn to: Snowshoe – Jan. 28 (1 – 3 p.m.), $5/person [REGISTER]
- Join avid fisherman Bob Hladik at Arrowhead Park to learn the basics of ice fishing, then try your hand at it yourself. Cost covers park entry fee and equipment is provided. Children ages 4 and under are free. Open to all ages, but only those ages 5 and older may fish. Ages 16+ must have a valid fishing license to participate.
- Location: Arrowhead Park, 29357 310th Street, Neola, Iowa.
Cathedral Flower Festival – Jan 27-29 (Check site for SCHEDULE)
- One of Omaha’s favorite winter events with more than 30 floral designers.
- Location: St. Cecilia Cathedral, 701 N. 40th St., Omaha, NE.
Lunch & Learn: Keeping your Kids Safe Online – Friday, January 27, 2023
Time: 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Presenter: Julie Dort
The Internet can be a wonderful place to discover, go shopping, play games, and talk to your friends. Unfortunately, there are also predators, identity thieves, and others online who may try to harm you. In order to be safe online, it’s important for you and your kids to be aware of the dangers.
Trivia Night – Friday, January 27th, 7:00pm
Knolls Golf Course – 11630 Sahler St.
Teams will receive 1 drink ticket per team member along with a Nacho Bar! Prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place with raffle prizes.
$50/team of 4. Must be 21 and older.
Register between Dec. 5th – Jan. 25th
A Generation of Hope: Indigenous Peoples of the Heartland – January 28 – September 3, 2023
Omaha Children’s Museum is proud to present a brand new, original exhibit: A Generation of Hope: Indigenous Peoples of the Heartland, a collaborative effort between Omaha Children’s Museum and the local Indigenous community.
A Generation of Hope: Indigenous Peoples of the Heartland is a celebration of the people who have called this region home for thousands of years. Learn about their culture and traditions throughout this interactive exhibit. Climb the Bur Oak Tree, visit a school, learn about the importance of storytelling and the significance of the winter count to that tradition, then create your own winter count. Explore traditional housing and imagine life in an earth lodge, tipi, and much more!
- Enjoy several indoor and outdoor options for Ice Skating in the Omaha Area!
- Looking for a FUN activity this Winter? They have a snow machine, too!
Winter is a great time to explore the outdoors and look for wildlife. Species like bald eagles, jackrabbits, owls, hawks, turkey and deer can be spotted at this time of year. Lake McConaughy is a great place for viewing birds thanks to its open water, as is Branched Oak State Recreation Area. Wildcat Hills State Recreation Area and Ponca and Indian cave state parks are other good choices.
- Visit a variety of local donut shops this season!
- Choose from a variety of locations that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories!
- Day Trips, Road Trips, Cabins to Rent, and more!
Members of certain libraries can check out a pass to visit one of the following locations:
- Durham Museum – Members of all 12 Omaha Public Library branches, Bellevue Public Library, Bennington Public Library, Council Bluffs Public Library, Fremont Public Library.
- Fontenelle Forest – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Lauritzen Gardens – Members of the Omaha Public Library, Bellevue Public Library, or Council Bluffs Public Library.
- Looking for a great Day Trip near Omaha? Check out these fun ideas for nearby adventures!
- Looking for a little getaway with your family? Choose from a variety of Road Trip ideas that are not too far from Omaha. Explore a new destination, go on an adventure, and create new memories with your family!