The Holidays are here! Have a fun-filled Holiday Break in Omaha with these 10+ Free or inexpensive activities!
Keep updated on the latest Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
It is always a good idea to verify before visiting as dates and times may change.
Check out the many Groupons available on fun activities including Mt. Crescent Ski Area, Great Wolf Lodge in KC, Creation Station, and more – Find these and more here!
1. See the Gingerbread House Displays
- View the creative Gingerbread House Display at the Mormon Trail Center, 3215 State Street, Omaha, NE, and at the Kanesville Tabernacle in Council Bluffs, Iowa, 222 E. Broadway, Council Bluffs, IA. Kids can participate in a fun scavenger at each location.
- (Open daily through Dec. 31, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. The center closes at 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. The center is closed on Christmas Day.)
- Spend an evening driving around to see Amazing Christmas Light Displays in the Omaha Area with a Map!
3. FUN at La Vista Public Library (9110 Giles Road):
- Christmas Colorpalooza – Friday, Dec. 22 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Stop by and celebrate the beginning of winter vacation with crayons, markers, colored pencils and Christmas coloring & doodling sheets. All ages welcome. Parental participation required.
- Boredom Busters – Thursday, December 28, (1 – 3 p.m.)
- Play classic and new board games, the Wii and library computers. All ages welcome.
4. Enjoy many special Omaha Public Library Events
(Please verify dates, times, and locations before visiting as event details may change. Some events have limited space and require registration.)
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 11 a.m.: Crafty Tots: Cupcake Liner Fireworks at Saddlebrook Branch
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 1 p.m.: Movie Day at A.V. Sorensen Branch
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 1 p.m.: S.T.E.A.M. in the Dark at South Omaha Library (REGISTER)
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2 p.m.: Dr. Oxygen Science: Winter Fun Day at Milton R. Abrahams Branch
- Wednesday, Dec. 27, 6 p.m.: Kwanzaa Feast at Charles B. Washington Branch
- Thursday, Dec. 28, 2 p.m.: Zoo to You: Winter Break Fun Day at Milton R. Abrahams Branch
- Thursday, Dec. 28, 2 p.m.: Gingerbread Houses at Charles B. Washington Branch (REGISTER)
- Friday, Dec. 29, 10:30 a.m.: Out & About Storytime: Do Space
- Friday, Dec. 29, 1 p.m.: School’s Out Food and Fun at W. Clarke Swanson Branch
- Friday, Dec. 29, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. – Teens Nerf Lock-In: Hunger Games Edition at Charles B. Washington Branch (REGISTER)
- Friday, Dec. 29, 6:30 p.m.: Hogwarts Holiday Lock-In at Milton R. Abrahams Branch (REGISTER)
- Saturday, Dec. 30, 10:30 a.m.: Noon Years Eve at Saddlebrook Branch
- Saturday, Dec. 30, 2 p.m.: Holiday Nerf Party at Milton R. Abrahams Branch (REGISTER)
- Wednesday, Jan. 3, 1 p.m.: Winter Break Maker Day: Stress Relievers at South Omaha Library (REGISTER)
- Jan. 3-5, 1 – 4 p.m.: Escape Room at Millard Branch (REGISTER)
- Thursday, Jan. 4, 11 a.m.: Winter Break Fun Day at W. Dale Clark (Main) Library
- Thursday, Jan. 4, 1 p.m.: Winter Break Maker Day at South Omaha Library (REGISTER)
- Thursday, Jan. 4, 2 p.m.: Get Crafty: Squishy Charm at A.V. Sorensen Branch (REGISTER)
- Thursday, Jan. 4, 2 p.m.: Winter Fun Day at Milton R. Abrahams Branch (REGISTER)
- Thursday, Jan. 4, 3 p.m.: S.T.E.A.M. Stations at Florence Branch
- Light is an interactive and visual art experience that explores art and science. Free and open to the public.
- Location: KANEKO, 1111 Jones St. Omaha.
6. Fun at Nebraska State Parks
(Park Entry Permit required.)
- Platte River State Park Christmas Bird Count Workshop – December 31, (1:30 p.m.)
- Hands-on educational activities where participants will learn about winter bird species, partake in kid-friendly crafts and games, and then join in on a birdwatching hike. Make sure to bring water, snacks, binoculars, hiking boots, and warm clothes for the hike.
- First Day Hikes – January 1st
- Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, Fremont State Recreation Area, Platte River State Park – Celebrate the first day of 2018 with a guided hike through some of Nebraska’s most beautiful landscapes. Hike difficulty varies. See calendar for details.
- In addition to the newest exhibit in the building, “Working on the Railroad,” having an O-scale model train built into the exhibit, Holiday model trains will be available during open museum hours, Thursday – Saturday (10 a.m. – 4 p.m), beginning on December 16 and ending on December 30.
- Location: Union Pacific Museum, 200 Pearl St., Council Bluffs, Iowa.
8. New Years Eve Fun
- Celebrate with the annual New Year’s Eve Fireworks Spectacular in Downtown Omaha, Gene Leahy Mall, 14th and Farnam (Sunday, December 31, 7 p.m.).
- See more New Years Eve Fun here!
9. Experience the ART WORKS interactive space at Joslyn Art Museum.
- Kids will love the nine hands-on activity stations, all with connections to art that you might encounter in Joslyn’s galleries.
10. Kids Workshop at Home Depot – Jan. 6, 2018 (9 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- Assemble a wooden block calendar to kick off the new year.
11. Find more FREE Things to Do for Indoor Fun in Omaha here!
For $5 or Less:
- Admission $2. Skate Rental $3. Park permit required. See Holiday Activity Hours here.
13. $5 Movie Tuesdays
14. Discover places to go ice skating in Omaha here!
Find More Helpful Resources:
It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
Have a wonderful fun-filled Holiday Break!