The Holidays are here! Have a fun-filled Winter Break in Omaha with these 10+ Free or inexpensive activities!
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
It is always a good idea to verify before visiting as dates and times may change.
Check out the many Groupons available on fun activities – Find these and more here!
>>> Plus, Children (11 years old and younger), receive FREE Admission to Omaha’s Zoo with a paid adult December 26-30, 2018! <<<
FREE Activities Over Winter Break in Omaha
1. Gingerbread House Display – Nov. 17 – Dec. 31, 2018 (10 a.m. – 8 p.m.), FREE
- Verify before visiting for early closings/closing for Holidays. The center closes at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Eve. The center will be closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Be sure to pick up a scavenger hunt and try to find all of the items!
- 2 Locations: Mormon Trail Center, 3215 State St., Omaha, and Kanesville Tabernacle, 222 E. Broadway, Council Bluffs, IA.
- Spend an evening driving around to see Amazing Christmas Light Displays in the Omaha Area with a Map!
3. Miracle on Farnam at Midtown Crossing – Nov. 17, 2018 – Jan. 1, 2019, FREE
- Enjoy a wonderful collection of 20 window displays created by local nonprofits, students and individual artists, and vote for your favorite. Download a scavenger hunt.
- Location: Midtown Crossing, 35th & Farnam, Omaha.
4. Crafts at Lakeshore Learning – Saturdays (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.), Ages 3 and up
- Dec. 22 – Trim-The-Tree Keepsake
- Dec. 29 – New Year’s Mask
- Jan. 5 – Penguin Pal
- Location: 12005 W. Center Road, Omaha
5. FUN at La Vista Public Library (9110 Giles Rd., LaVista, NE):
- Ukulele Jam Session – Dec. 27, 2018 (1 p.m.), REGISTER
- Recommended ages: 3rd grade and up. Registration is required. Show off your skills or ask questions. Bring your own ukulele, or borrow one from the library.
- Drop-In Lego Club – Friday, January 4 (10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
- Stop by anytime today from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and build with our blocks and Legos!
6. Omaha Public Library Special Events – Dec. 26, 2018 – Jan. 4, 2019
While the kids are home from school, bring them to Omaha Public Libraries! Some events may require registration. Find a variety of events here.
- Winter Break Fun Day: Dr. Oxygen Science Show – Thursday, December 27, 2018 (2:00 – 3:00 p.m.), Milton R. Abrahams Branch
- Escape Room for Grades 2-6 – Friday, December 28, 2018 (1:00 – 4:00 p.m.), Millard Branch, REGISTER
- Escape Room for Grades 2-6 – Thursday, January 3, 2019 (1:00 – 4:00 p.m.), Millard Branch, REGISTER
- Winter Fun Day: Cinderella Workshop with the Omaha Symphony – Thursday, January 3, 2019 (2:00 – 2:45 p.m.), Milton R. Abrahams Branch, The program is recommended for children ages 3-7, but children of all ages are welcome. REGISTER
- Find many more events here.
7. New Year’s Eve Fireworks Spectacular – Dec. 31, 2018 (7 p.m.)
- Location: Gene Leahy Mall, 14th and Farnam.
Find many more Family-Friendly New Year’s Events, many that are FREE!
8. Pajama Jam Family Night at the Union Pacific Museum – Friday, Jan. 4, 2019 (5:30 – 8 p.m.)
- Enjoy crafts and activities. Throw on your jammies, grab your favorite plush friend, and come join the fun.
- Location: Union Pacific Museum, 200 Pearl St, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
9. Kids Workshop at Home Depot – Jan. 5, 2019 (9 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- Your child can create an easel with whiteboard.
10. Happy Birthday Popcorn Ball at Council Bluffs Public Library – Jan. 5, 2019 (11 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.)
- Drop-in and make a Happy Birthday popcorn ball to celebrate the new year. For kids ages 4 years old through 6th grade.
- Location: 400 Willow Ave, Council Bluffs, IA.
Find more FREE Things to Do for Indoor Fun in Omaha here!
For $10 or Less:
Mahoney State Park Activity Center and Ice Skating Rink – Park Permit Required
- $2 per Adult & Child, 13 Years & Older
- $3 per Child, 3 to 12 Years Old (2 Years Old & Under, Free)
- Skate Rental $3 (Sizes Toddler 9 to Adult 15 Available). Venture Climb additional fee.
- See Holiday Activity Hours here.
$5 Movie Tuesdays
Fun at Nebraska State Parks – (Park Entry Permit required.)
- First Day Hikes – January 1, 2019
- Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, Fremont State Recreation Area, Platte River State Park – Celebrate the first day of 2019 with a guided hike through some of Nebraska’s most beautiful landscapes. Hike difficulty varies. See calendar for details.