The Nebraska Science Festival is a multi-day celebration designed to make science fun for kids and adults alike. Enjoy a wide variety of events for all ages, including many with FREE or discounted admission!
NOTE: Although the Festival is canceled, they plan to hold a few virtual events in April and extend their social media scavenger hunt.
Join our growing community and keep updated on Omaha family-friendly events and activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
The 2020 Science Festival will be held April 3 – 26, 2020. CANCELED
It is always a good idea to verify the event information as details may change.
Highlights of the 2020 NE Scifest Include:
1. Many Activities at Omaha Public Libraries – April 7 – 25, FREE
- Exciting activities include: (Some require advanced registration as space is limited.)
- Science of Sound Family Storytime
- NE SciFest visits Music and Movement
- Read & Play: NESciFest
- Exploring Science in Storytime
- Teen Talk About: Science
- NE SciFest Visits Family Storytime
- Exploring Science in Storytime
- Books and Bites for Teens- NE Sci-Fest
- City Nature Challenge Family Storytime
1. Special Programs at Do Space (72nd & Dodge St., Omaha, NE) – Membership and advance registration required. FREE
- Make. Hack. Build. (ages 12 – 18) – Apr. 4 & 11 (1 – 3 p.m.) [REGISTER]
- Little’s Lab: Let’s Make! (ages 3 – 5) – Various Dates [REGISTER]
- Junior Makers: LEGO WeDo Robots (ages 6-12) – Various Dates [REGISTER]
2. Metropolitan Community College Science Day – Apr. 4 (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.)
- Activities encompass a variety of science disciplines including physics, chemistry and biology. Learn the scientific method and employ it during many great experiments.
- Location: Metropolitan Community College South Campus, Mahoney Building, 2909 Edward Babe Gomez Ave., Omaha, NE.
3. UNO STEM University – Apr. 11 (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Students can move through open interactive stations in Roskens Hall.
- Location: 6001 Dodge St., Omaha, NE.
4. Omaha Health, Wellness & Fitness Expo – Apr. 18 – 19 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.), FREE w/ticket
- Learn how to improve your lifestyles and ways to live longer, better, and happier. Health Seminars will take place both days.
- Register and get your ticket free! Admission: $5 at the door without a ticket, children age 12 and under are FREE.
- Location: Baxter Arena, 2425 S. 67th St., Omaha, NE.
5. Earth Day Omaha – Apr. 18 (11 a.m. – 6 p.m.), Elmwood Park
- The free event features exhibit booths, children’s activities, demonstrations and short speaker sessions.
- See many more events to celebrate Earth Day here!
- Location: Elmwood Park, 802 S. 60th St., Omaha, NE.
6. Lil Scientist Day at Omaha Children’s Museum – Apr. 21 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.), Regular admission
- Fun activities include volcano eruptions, make science tongs, explore parts of a tree and decorate a tree slice, use science tools to investigate different kinds of rock and minerals, decorate science kits and notebooks. Plus numerous science shows throughout the day.
- Location: Omaha Children’s Museum, 500 S. 20th St., Omaha, NE.
7. McMillan Magnet Middle School STEAM Night – Apr. 23 (5:30 – 7 p.m.), FREE
- Students will lead visitors in a variety of hands-on activities and demonstrations. Activities include robotics, engineering, 3D printing, laser cutting, circuits, art in science, flight, rockets and a variety of other activities. Visitors will also be able to view and hear about science projects and inventions students are working on.
- Location: McMillian Magnet Middle School, 3802 Redick Ave., Omaha, NE.
8. City Nature Challenge 2020 – Apr. 24 – 27
- Identify and count plants and animals that live among us. The challenge is a BioBlitz that engages residents and visitors to find and document plants, animals, and other organisms living in urban areas. Visit OmahaZoo.com/CityNatureChallenge for more information.
9. Free Public Science Expo at the Durham Museum – Apr. 25 (9 a.m. – noon), FREE with downloadable ticket
- Participate in fun and engaging hands-on learning opportunities. There will be a wide variety of booths to promote science and its impact on our everyday lives. Plus, the Omaha Children’s Museum will perform their “Mad Scientist Show” at 10:30 a.m.
- Location: The Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St., Omaha, NE.
- Download FREE Ticket here!
10. SAC Aerospace Museum: SciPop Interactive – Apr. 25 (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), $12/adult, $6/child, and kids 3 and under are FREE
- Discover a day of mystery and illusion with demonstrations, hands-on activities and interactive fun on the science behind Harry Potter and comic book heroes. Guests are encouraged to come in costume of their favorite character.
- Cost: Admission to the Museum is $12 for adults, $6 for kids, and kids 3 and under are free.
- Location: SAC Museum, 28210 W. Park Hwy., Ashland, NE.