The Nebraska Science Festival is a multi-day celebration designed to make science fun for kids and adults alike. Enjoy a wide variety of events for all ages, including many with FREE admission!
Keep updated on the latest Omaha fun and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
The 2017 Science Festival will be held April 20 – 29, 2017.It is always a good idea to verify the event information as details may change.
1. Many Activities at Omaha Public Libraries – April 20 – 29, FREE
- Exciting activities include SCI-kids, Teen Activities, special storytimes, Robots and Slime, and more! Some require advanced registration as space is limited.
2. SciFest Social Media Scavenger Hunt – April 20 – 29, FREE
- Simply take a picture of the item in the clue and post it to Facebook (comments section), Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #nescifest. Each day, one winner will be chosen at random for a SciFest T-shirt.
3. Public Expo at The Durham Museum – April 22 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.), FREE with Ticket
- Participate in fun and engaging hands-on learning opportunities.
- (NE SciFest ticket required. Download here.)
4. STEM University at UNO – April 22, FREE (Some events require registration.)
- Hands-On Workshops for Families with experts in STEM education. Registration for workshops opens April 1.
- Expo Event in UNO’s Roskens Hall – (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.). No registration is required.
- Computer Science Open House at Roskens Hall Atrium (9:30 – 11:30 a.m.), which requires no registration.
5. Valley Public Library – April 22 (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE
- Interactive science stations and presentations. Location: City of Valley Library, 232 North Spruce Street, Valley, NE
6. Metropolitan Community College – April 22 (11 a.m. – 3 p.m.), FREE
- Stop by MCC’s South Omaha Campus, Mahoney building for five rooms (400-405) of hands-on fun. Location: MCC’s South Omaha Campus, 2902 Edward Babe Gomez Ave, Omaha
7. Special Programs at Do Space – April 22, FREE
- Mobile Fabrication Laboratory – April 22, (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.), FREE
- Robotics Showcase – April 22 (9 a.m. – 1 p.m.), FREE
8. Omaha Children’s Museum – April 25 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.), Regular Admission
- Enjoy hands-on science experiments, science shows and dome shows all day long during our Lil’ Scientist Day. Included with regular admission.
9. FREE Movie Screenings – April 25-27, FREE
- Hidden Figures – April 25 (5 p.m.) at King Science and Technology Magnet School, 3720 Florence Blvd. (Use main entrance on east side of building). Between 6 and 8 p.m., visitors also may see how students created or redesigned exhibits from the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, learn the benefits of using aquaponics as a way to grow food and enjoy a 30-minute trip into space via their planetarium.
- Hidden Figures – April 25 (6:30 p.m.) at Bryan High School, 4700 Giles Rd, Omaha, in the school’s auditorium.
- Hidden Figures – April 26 (6:30 p.m.) at Omaha North High Magnet School, 4410 N 36th St. (use main doors; handicapped accessible entrance on north side of main parking lot). Following the screening in the Viking Center, participants are invited to join Omaha North science teachers on the football field to view stars and planets through a telescope.
- Inside Out – April 27 (8:30 p.m.) on the green space at UNMC (S 42nd St & Emile St.) Bring your own blankets, lawn chairs and refreshments (non-alcoholic). Prior to the movie, from 7-8 p.m., SciFest fans will have an opportunity to informally visit with representatives from BHECN – The Behavioral Health Education Center of Nebraska – and learn more about improving access to behavioral health care across the state of Nebraska. In the case of inclement weather, this event will be canceled.
10. Omaha World-Herald – April 25, 26 (1 p.m.), FREE, RSVP Required
- See how the newspaper is printed each day. The press tour (for groups of 25) runs 45 to 60 minutes, depending on questions. Recommended for kids 8 and over and any adults. Meet at the John Gottschalk Freedom Center, 14th Street and Capitol Avenue, Omaha.
- RSVP REQUIRED: RSVP to email@example.com. Space is limited.
11. City Sprouts Community Garden – April 29 (10 a.m. – 12 p.m.), FREE
- City Sprouts will host activities, games and snacks for all ages. Come dressed as a tree for a special prize. Location: City Sprouts Community Garden, 4002 Seward Street, Omaha
12. Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum: SciPop Interactive – April 29 (10 a.m. – 2 p.m.), FREE Admission for Youth (0-12)
- Featuring the science behind Harry Potter, Star Trek, & Comic Book Icons. Guests are encouraged to come in costume in support of your favorite character.
- The event is free for guests age 12 and under and general admission applies to adults. General admission is $12 for adults and $11 for military and seniors.