Celebrate and enjoy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day with these family-friendly activities and volunteer opportunities in Omaha!
Join our growing community of Email Subscribers and keep updated on Omaha Events and Activities and Sign up for our Free Email Newsletter!
Family Volunteer Opportunities
Open Door Mission – Monday, Jan. 15, 2018 (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.), Register in advance
- Sign up to volunteer at the Timberlake Outreach Center at 2107 E. Locust St.
Omaha. Open Door Mission is looking for volunteers to help sort clothing and household items, sort and count toys, make food pantry boxes, and more.
UNO Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service – Jan. 15 (8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.), Register in advance
- In honor of the national MLK Day, join the UNO Office of Civic & Social Responsibility for one of our Signature Service Days. Service projects will help the community at large, and those who participate can choose from a variety of service projects during check-in. Please make sure to dress to get dirty and make a difference. We will have free breakfast and lunch available to all volunteers! Not available the whole day? Stop in the Office of Civic & Social Responsibility (CEC 130) anytime during the day to complete a service project in the office.
- COMMUNITY MEMBERS with K-12 children – please print this form and bring a completed copy to the service day (https://orgsync.com/
ABIDE Omaha Day of Service – Jan. 15 (8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.)
- Abide Omaha is excited to host any group or individuals, adults and youth, who would like to serve in the inner city for a few hours that day and connect with the north Omaha community to make a difference in one of the most under-served areas in the city of Omaha.
- Sign Up – https://goo.gl/rMoSiS
- Choose from a variety of agencies where families can volunteer their time on this day to serve others. (It is always a good idea to contact the agency before planning to volunteer to verify age requirements, complete the application process (if needed), or schedule a time in advance.)
Omaha Children’s Museum – Monday, Jan. 15 (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Visit the museum for special activities to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr., while supplies last. All activities are included with museum admission and are included for member families.
Strategic Air Command & Aeropace Museum – Open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily
- See the newly opened “Energy Explorers” exhibit!
Free Screening: Selma at Aksarben Cinema – Jan. 15 (2:30 p.m.), FREE Will Donations
- Aksarben Cinema and the Empowerment Network are partnering to bring you a FREE screening of Selma Movie. The Empowerment Network will be collecting free will donations for the Step Up Omaha Career Education and Employment Program for Youth.
- Doors will open at 2 p.m. and the movie will begin at 2:30 p.m. Seating is limited and offered on a first come, first serve basis. No advance ticketing available.
- Find more events in this article in the Omaha World Herald.
Nationally: Free Admission to National Parks – Monday, Jan. 15, 2018
Find More Fun:
(It is always a good idea to verify the schedules and open dates/times of the location before visiting.)
CC image courtesy of Lel4nd