There are a multitude of free or inexpensive fun family activities coming up both locally and nationally to enjoy! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting. See these and other free or inexpensive family friendly events in Omaha Attractions (many recently added!) and in the Event Calendar!
Be sure to also visit:
Going Green with the Omaha Public Library – 4/20-4/29
- Celebrate Spring with Eco-Friendly Events, April 14-April 29, 2012, at various Omaha Public Libraries. Click on link for event descriptions, dates, and times (Click on ‘Green’ under Upcoming Events in center of website or view the calendar in top right corner.)
- 9:30am-6:30pm at the CenturyLink Center, Omaha. The International Event is a premier indoor equestrian show jumping sporting competition providing fun activities to engage and entertain families. Some events require a ticket, but the Equine Expo is free to the public. This will have exhibits that provide education on all aspects of horses and the sport, a petting zoo, a living historical timeline from the Calvary days, and many others.
- 3-6PM. Learn how to reduce your carbon footprint when shopping for your family. Pick up a copy of your Hy-Vee dietitian’s tips for “greener” shopping in observance of Earth Day, April 22nd.
- 9am-12pm at Boys Town National Research Hospital, 139th and Pacific. Receive assistance from nationally-certified child passenger safety technicians while learning how to correctly install and use your child’s safety seat or booster seat.
Free Family Fun Fest – 4/21
- 9-11am, Papillion-LaVista High School, 402 E. Centennial Road, Papillion, NE. For Kids: Bounce Houses, balloons, face painting, the “Bug Guy”, and the Omaha StormChasers. For Parents: Parent resources from many Sarpy County area businesses, including freebies and coupons. Sponsored by the Papillion LaVista School District.
- 11am-6pm in Elmwood Park. The free event features exhibit booths, children’s activities, demonstrations and short speaker sessions, plus live music from top local bands and food from area vendors. All activities are designed to educate and inspire attendees to live green and healthy at home and at work.
- Enjoy FREE general admission, Saturdays, 10 am–noon. Additional charge for some special exhibitions. Joslyn Art Museum’s Peter Kiewit Foundation Sculpture Garden is open year-round from 7 am to 11 pm each day, and admission is free.
- Saturday, April 21st and 28th, 12-2pm. Family Skate at Motto McLean Ice Arena (inside Hitchcock Park- 45th x Q). Only $10 for a family of four, and $3 for each additional person. This includes admission, skate rentals, popcorn, and drink.
- Fun-filled, FREE events for children and families! Join us on select Sunday afternoons throughout the year, as we present special events that highlight traveling exhibitions and Joslyn’s collection! April 22nd features the exhibition To Live Forever: Egyptian Treasures from the Brooklyn Museum.
- Bring a canned/non-perishable food item to Werner Park and receive one free McDonald’s Berm ticket. 1 per canned non-perishable item. Fans are encouraged to bring more. Food will be donated.
- 1-4pm. Hummel joins with PBS Kids to explore the outdoors. Come discover the senses, make a nature journal, explore plants, animals, insects, environments, and participate in bird nest building. Free fun for the whole family!
- This event will feature races at Wilderness Park, an afternoon celebration in Antelope Park, an evening of native seed planting at Pioneers Park Nature Center and Earth Night at the Rococo Theatre.
- 1:00pm, Everett Park. Free to the public!
- Children ages 5 and younger with accompanying adult can explore nature activities through interactive stations. A different natural science topic is introduced each week. $2 member/$3 non-member. It is held every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday during the school year from 9:30 – 11:30 am.
- 9am-5pm. Don’t miss a TREEmendous Arbor Day Celebration – a fun weekend dedicated to trees. Enjoy tree tours and tree-themed educational activities. The first 100 households each day will receive a FREE tree seedling. Admission and activities are FREE.
- Local food from Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota farmers held on Saturdays, 8 am to 1 pm, Rain or Shine.
- 10-3pm at the Upper Level & North East Parking Lot of Westroads Shopping Center. Free, interactive, educational, and family friendly event which will offer safety tips and lessons on a variety of topics. The event will also offer free child ID kits, free bike helmets (ages 5-12 accompanied by an adult), minor bicycle repair, free t-shirts for kids to design, a Drug Administration Enforcement prescription drug take-back station (bring in your unused or unneeded medications), face painting, clowns, balloons, and many more hands-on activities. We went to this event last year and my kids loved it!
- 11am-2:30pm, UNO Caniglia Field. Join us for tons of family fun activities: Bounce Houses, Zumba, Relay Races, Obstacle Courses, and more! The first 200 kids receive a free bike helmet provided by the Children’s Hospital & Medical Center and the first 600 kids receive a free YMCA drawstring bag full of goodies! Event will be held rain or shine.
- 11am-1pm at Saddlebrook Library. Join us for a fun-filled and eco-friendly spa day! We’ll make green body scrubs and dream pillows, learn about massage and enjoy a light lunch. This program is limited to 12 daughters (ages 9 and up) and their mothers. As of this posting, there were only a few spots left. Click on the link above to register.
- 1-4pm at the Sarpy County Historical Museum, 2402 Clay St., Bellevue. Bring the whole family for a May Day Celebration. Make a May Day Basket and other fun activities. Meet the Maypole Queen, Kimberly Daniels, the 2012 Mrs. Nebraska. Free admission all day and open to the public.
- Come have some outdoor fun during our FREE Kids Challenge Weekend! The following activites will be going on Saturday April 21st and Sunday April 22nd from 12pm – 4pm. Casting Buckets, Archery Range, Life Jacket Races, Sleeping Bag Challenge, Cloth Braided Snake and Arrow Head Crafts, and Knot tying activity. After completing all challenges have a chance to win some prizes (while supplies last). Event available in all locations except Branson, Miami, and Islamorada.
- Free Entrance into National Parks April 21st – 29th.
- Body Art Make-It Take-It – Sat, April 21st, 1-3pm – Have some fabulous fun with body paint. Ages 3 and up. While supplies last.
- Earth Day Tote Make-It Take-It, Sun, April 22nd, 1-3pm – Decorate a trendy tote for Earth Day. Ages 3 and up. While supplies last.
- Enjoy preschool storytime every Tuesday and Thursday at Barnes and Noble stores nationwide. Times and dates may vary. Please verify with your local store before visiting. In Omaha, Storytime is at 11am at the Oakview store.
- Storytimes are held every Tuesday from 11-11:30am. Time and Date may vary by store. Please call your local store to confirm.
- 10-11am. Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Check availability and register soon, as these tend to fill up fast!