There are many free (or almost free) fun family activities coming up both locally and nationally to enjoy! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting. See these and other free family friendly events in Omaha Attractions (many recently added!) and in the Event Calendar!
- Free Family Activities in Omaha – newly added!
- Enjoy FREE ADMISSION on Friday, May 18th, 10 am-4 pm at the Joslyn Art Museum in celebration of International Museum Day! This includes the Egypt exhibition which closes June 3rd. Hands-on activities will be offered for younger visitors in the EdTech Gallery and Kids Can Do Art station.
- Enjoy a free movie under the stars at the beautiful Sumtur Amphitheater. Starlight Movie Series features entertainment for the whole family. Gates open at 7:30 with cartoons starting as soon as the sun sets. The feature movie starts at twilight.
- The Omaha Adventure Free Family Festival will be held at Village Pointe Shopping Center on Saturday, May 19th, from 10-5pm. There will be games and activities from many local attractions including the Durham Museum, Joslyn Art Museum, the Amazing Pizza Machine, Omaha’s Children’s Museum, Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, and Lauritzen Gardens! Additionally, all visitors can pick up an Omaha Adventure Savings Pack filled with more than $50 in discounts to top Omaha Attractions!
- Fish anywhere in the state and visit any Nebraska State Park, State Historical Park or State Recreation Area for FREE. No park entry or fishing permit required.
- As Part of the FREE FISHING AND PARK ENTRY DAY, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is offering the 15th Annual Family Fishing Clinic at these state parks and recreation areas.
- Omaha Farmer’s Market – Old Market! – Saturdays, 8am-12:30pm. Approximately 110 vendors sell fresh, locally grown produce, baked goods and flowers.
- Village Pointe Farmers Market – Saturdays, 8am-1pm. Local food from Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota farmers.
- Omaha Farmer’s Market – Aksarben Village – Sundays, 9am-1pm. Local growers sell fresh, locally grown produce, baked goods and flowers.
- Enjoy FREE general admission, Saturdays, 10 am–noon. Additional charge for some special exhibitions. Joslyn Art Museum’s Peter Kiewit Foundation Sculpture Garden is open year-round from 7 am to 11 pm each day, and admission is free.
- Saturdays, May 19th and 26th, 12-2pm. Family Skate at Motto McLean Ice Arena (inside Hitchcock Park- 45th x Q). Only $10 for a family of four, and $3 for each additional person. This includes admission, skate rentals, popcorn, and drink.
- See several locations for living in downtown Omaha. Visit any of the stops during the tour on your own or you can ride the trolley all day for only $1. Come and go as you please and as it fits your schedule.
- The first 1,000 teachers to register will receive a special “swag bag”, Godfather’s pizza, drink and raffle tickets to win a variety of great prizes at the event. Radio hosts will emcee the event, along with live music from local favorites. There will also be fun activities for the kids including face painting and bounce houses.
- Bring a canned/non-perishable food item to Werner Park and receive one free McDonald’s Berm ticket. 1 per canned non-perishable item. Fans are encouraged to bring more. Food will be donated.
- The Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association (DID) will offer FREE activities and mini events all summer at the Gene Leahy Mall! Activities will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays during the months of May, June, August and September at 14th & Farnam Streets.
- Mondays – Family Fun
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – Boot Camp Exercise Classes
- Wednesdays – Arts & Culture
- Join D-Rocks and the Sumtur Amphitheater for a FREE after school party on Wednesday May 23rd. Continuous music from 15 bands 12:00 – 5:00 pm. Sumtur concession stand will be open serving food and drinks. Come support your favorite student bands from the Omaha Metropolitan area.
- Parade, Vendors, Beer Garden, Carnival, Contests May 24-27, 2012
- BONUS KIDS CLUB: Thursday, May 24, 1-3 pm. Be among the first to enjoy the ALL NEW SprayGround at Shadow Lake Towne Center. Parents, bring the kids out for a fun afternoon in the sun to kick-off the summer. Freddy’s Frozen Custard will be handing out free custard!
- Kick off you summer with some outdoor fun at Bass Pro Shops Saturday May 26th & Sunday May 27th 11am – 4pm. Have the opportunity to get a FREE interactive family picture taken in front of a camping background, check out our new Metal Detector Treasure Hunt with FREE prizes given away every hour, FREE Kid’s Craft 12pm-4pm, Sleeping Bag Challenge with lessons on proper storage, and learn how to set up a tent with our camping department.
Free National Parks Annual Pass for Active Duty Military and Family – beginning 5/19
- Starting May 19th, on Armed Forces Day, the National Park Service is offering a FREE annual pass for active duty military personnel. The America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Annual Pass typically costs $80, but active duty military & dependents will be able to get this for FREE!
- Storytimes are held every Tuesday from 11-11:30am. Time and Date may vary by store. Please call your local store to confirm.
- Enjoy preschool storytime every Tuesday and Thursday at Barnes and Noble stores nationwide. Times and dates may vary. Please verify with your local store before visiting. In Omaha, Storytime is at 11am at the Oakview store.
Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinic – Ice Cream Truck, 5/26
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Check availability and register soon, as these tend to fill up fast!