The weekend is almost here, and there are many free (or almost free) fun family activities both locally and nationally to enjoy! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Labor Day Weekend Activities and Events in Omaha
- City of Omaha Extended Pool Season Hours and Cheap Admission
- Free Summer Activities in Omaha
- Free Family Activities in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
- Current drought conditions throughout the Midwest have been called the worst in a generation. Due to The Rainbow’s dependence on rainwater, planned twice daily rainbow events have been scaled back. Check here for updated schedule.
- The Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association (DID) will offer FREE activities and mini events all summer at the Gene Leahy Mall! Activities will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays during the months of May, June, August and September at 14th & Farnam Streets.
- Mondays – Family Fun
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – Boot Camp Exercise Classes
- Wednesdays – Arts & Culture
- Millard Days is a full week of activities, including parade, carshow, carnival and Family day activities. It will be held at Andersen Park, 136th and Q Street.
- Enjoy Omaha’s Original Greek Festival with Live Greek Music, Greek Food, Dancing, and Boutique. Free Admission at gate with canned food item, or print free admission tickets at Greek Fest Omaha. Children 12 and under are free, plus Military, Police Officers, Fire Personnel, and Students are free with ID. Friday, August 24: 5 – 11p.m. Saturday, August 25: 11a.m. – 11p.m. Sunday, August 26: Noon – 7p.m.
- Annual community celebration and parade.
- Water Festival for Kids and Adults held at Wehrspann Lake, 154th and Giles, from 12-4, rain or shine. World O! Water is a free annual event, aimed at educating the public about water conservation, quality and recreation. Come learn what you can do to ensure this invaluable resource is here for us to enjoy now and for future generations. Some of the World O! Water activities include: Demonstrations, Science experiments, Games, Canoeing, and Face painting.
- One of my favorite events of the summer! Free Admission. 9-5pm. Modern and historic aircraft, performances, static displays. No coolers, backpacks, or pets. See Helpful Tips for Visiting here!
- FREE, Fun Events All Summer Long! Bring your family and enjoy Summer Nights on Wednesday evenings at the Kroc Center, 6:30-8pm. Meet new people and have fun with your children while enjoying a new free activity each week. Kroc Center members and non-members are all invited to join the fun!
- 8/29 Open Pool Night (Bring your swimsuit & a towel!)
- Gather your family and friends for one last hurrah Saturday, September 1 to Monday, September 3, 2012 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for Labor Day Weekend at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo! There will be wild entertainment and special animal presentations for all ages. Event activities are free to Omaha’s Zoo members or with regular paid Zoo admission.
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
- Back To School Kid’s Fest at Sears Saturday, August 25th, (12-4pm in Omaha). A Saturday filled with fun and activities for kids of all ages! Come dance, build, color, play games or make a craft. *Check with your local participating store for specific events and times.
Lowe’s Free Build and Grow Clinic – 8/25-8/26
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am and Sunday at 2pm. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Shrek Onion Carriage – 8/25, 10:00 AM
- Shrek Onion Carriage – 8/26, 2:00 PM
- Home Depot offers FREE kid’s workshops on the first Saturday of each month, from 9am-12pm. They are designed for children ages 5-12. Workshops teach children do-it-yourself skills and tool safety. All participants will receive a Kids Workshop Apron, commemorative pin and certificate of achievement.
- Goal Post Football Game – 9/1, 9am-12pm
Which of these fun and free activities are you planning to do this beautiful weekend?