Halloween is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate with the kids. In addition to trick-or-treating, there are many fun family activities where kids can try out their costumes, participate in parades, listen to storytimes, carve pumpkins, and celebrate Halloween all month long! It is always a good idea to verify the information with the business before visiting. Check back as more events will be added throughout the season!
Free Halloween Events in Omaha
Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinics – 10/12, 10 a.m.
- Spooky Stacker: Halloween is right around the corner! Your child will love this Halloween inspired Spooky Stacker Game!
Mangelsen’s Witches Tea – 10/12, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- A great Halloween Party in the parking lot that is fun for the whole family! Enjoy Halloween crafts, a magic show at 11:30 a.m., Halloween themed games, face painting and other surprises. The costume contest starts at 1:00 p.m. 5 age groups will compete, from babies to adults.
Omaha Public Library Halloween Events - 10/15-10/31
- Many events including storytimes, parades, crafts and more at Omaha Public Libraries.
Halloween Event at Bass Pro Shop – 10/19-10/31
- Free 4×6 photo with the Peanuts Characters, Crafts, Halloween Scavenger Hunt, Costume Parade, and Trick or Treating. See website for exact dates and times of all activities.
Halloween Safe Night and Fall Festival at Papillion-LaVista South High School - 10/24, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Events will include a costume contest, games, prizes, bounce houses and activities for all ages. Admission is free with a canned or non perishable food item for one of the Sarpy County Food Pantries.
Halloween Events at Omaha Community Centers - 10/25 – 10/31
- The Omaha Parks and Recreation Community Centers have a variety of Halloween events for all ages. We invite you and your young ghosts and goblins to enjoy the trick-or-treat season with us!
Trick or Treat at Nebraska Furniture Mart – 10/25, 5 – 8 p.m.
- Kids can trick or treat throughout the store and have some fun.
Trunk-O-Treat at Sarpy YMCA – 10/25, 6 – 8 p.m.
- The Sarpy Community YMCA is offering an extra night of ghouling fun with cars full of goods and activities for our treaters. FREE event for members and non members!
Trick-or-Treat at Westroads Mall – 10/25, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Westroads Mall will give away Free Trick-or-Treat bags (while supplies last) filled with candy and retailer offers. Children will then be allowed to trick-or-treat inside the mall at the various participating retailers, plus enjoy face painting, clowns, and local mascots.
Monster Mash Bash at Oak View Mall – 10/25, 6-9 p.m.
- Wear Your Costume and Trick or Treat Merchants throughout the Mall from 6-9 p.m. Treats, Dance Contest, Costume Contest, Craft Table, Mini-Movie Theater. We went to this last year and my kids loved it!
Halloween Party at Sump Memorial Library – 10/26, 10 a.m.
- Ages 2-8. Stories, games,and crafts. Costumes Welcome!
Omaha’s Great Pumpkin – FREE Family Festival at Village Pointe – 10/26, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Festivities will include:
- Pumpkin carving (10am-2pm)
- Trick-or-treating (2pm-5pm)
- Free kid games sponsored by the Millard South High School DECA (2pm-5pm)
- Lighting of the pumpkin tree (7pm)
Benson Boo Bash – 10/26, 10:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Starts at the Benson Community Center. Trick-or-Treating at the businesses in downtown Benson. Games, activities, and more!
Halloween Storytime at Barnes & Noble Stores – 10/26, 11 a.m.
- Join us for Halloween Storytime featuring Go Away, Big Green Monster! Activities, costume parades, treats and fun will be had by all!
Mav Kids Halloween Bash at UNO – 10/26, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- The Annual Mav Kids Halloween Bash is fun for ages 12 and under and features candy/prizes, fun games, and amazing activities. The event is FREE and open to everyone! They will be collecting towels and blankets for the Town and Country Humane Society and canned food items for the UNO Food Pantry.
Super Natural Halloween at Whole Foods – 10/26, 12 – 3 p.m.
- Join our super, all-natural Halloween party! Stop by treat stations for all-natural options and festive favorites that are so good, it’s scary. And, check out our creatively carved team member pumpkins and vote for your favorite!
Mon-Stir – Halloween Fun Event at The V - 10/26, 12 – 4 p.m.
- Come dance, play games, trick or treat and just have lots of free fun (including bowling!). Great costume contests and prizes.
SPOOKTACULAR at Saddlebrook – 10/26, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Activities, crafts, photo ops and FUN! Costumes encouraged. All ages welcome. A spooky scene backdrop will be available for Halloween pictures. A free 4×6 photo compliments of Walgreens will be available for pickup at the 156th and Maple store later in the week.
Trick-or-Treating at Hy-Vee 156th & Maple – 10/26, 2 – 6 p.m.
- Please join us for a safe and fun Trick-or-Treating throughout Hy-Vee. Stop by each department for special treats.
Halloween Meet and Treat with Omaha Police Department’s Southeast Precinct - 10/26, 4 – 8 p.m.
- This event gives youth a chance to meet officers, and take part in fun activities. There will be music, dancing, safety information, and a bounce house. Photo opportunities will also be available for the children.
Trunk or Treat at Camelot Community Center – 10/26, 5 – 7 p.m.
- Come trick-or-treat in a safe environment here at the Camelot Center! Fun games and activities, too!
Halloween Hoopla at Shadow Lake Towne Center – 10/27, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Safe trick-or-treating at participating Shadow Lake Towne Center merchants displaying an owl in the front window, and free Hayrack rides.
Trick or Trunk in Aksarben Village – 10/27, 1 – 5 p.m. (trick-or-treating begins at 2)
- There will be new cars lined up and down Mercy Road with trunks filled with candy, music flowing in Stinson Park, food and drinks available to purchase, and face-painters and balloon twisters to add to the mix.
- Zumba will be from 12-1:30 p.m. and a surprise will be at 2 p.m. Trick or treating begins at 2 p.m.
Trick or Treat in the Old Market and Books are Treats Event (FREE Books!) – 10/27, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Participating merchants in the Old Market will be handing out goodies for the kids in this safe and fun daylight Trick or Treat event for the whole family! Plus, treat yourself to a free new book at the Books are Treats event.
Harvest Party Extravaganza at Downtown YMCA – 10/27, 2 – 4 p.m.
- Spend an afternoon playing in our space bouncer, participating in gym activities and enjoying our family recreational swim! Costumes are encouraged! Bring the whole family for face painting, scavenger hunts, crafts and more. Member/ Non member: FREE.
Bellevue Boo Bash – 10/27, 3 – 5 p.m.
- Games, face painting, bounce houses, trick-or-treating, and more! Cost: One Canned Food Item per child. All proceeds support the Bellevue Food Pantry. Grades K-6 are welcome!
Halloween Art at La Vista Public Library – 10/28, 3:30 – 4:15 p.m.
- Come create a Halloween-themed craft! Fourth grade and under. Registration is not required.
Kids Halloween Party at Quaker Steak & Lube – 10/28, 5:30 – 8 p.m.
- Trick or Treat, Games and prizes, Halloween crafts. Free sundae to kids in costume. Kids Eat Free Night, too! (8 years old and under with adult entree purchase.)
Spooktacular Story Time at Pottery Barn Kids – 10/29, 11 a.m.
- Children are encouraged to wear their Halloween costumes while they read along to a few of our favorite stories. Guests will also receive fun seasonal stickers.
Halloween Fun at 180th and Pacific Hy-Vee – 10/29, 5 – 7 p.m.
- Come trick-or-treat at your Pacific Street Hy-Vee from 5 p.m.- 7 p.m. and get your picture taken with some spooky characters!
Stormy’s Baseballoween Bash – 10/29, 5 – 8 p.m.
- Join the Omaha Storm Chasers on Tuesday, October 29, from 5 – 8 p.m. for a FREE Halloween event at Werner Park.
Children’s Harvest Party at La Vista Public Library – 10/30, 10 – 11 a.m.
- All children are invited to wear their costumes and participate in our Children’s Harvest Party. We’ll have a costume parade, listen to a Halloween story, sing spooky songs, do a craft and make caramel apples. Registration required.
Trick-or-Treat at Regency Court – 10/31, All Day
- Trick-or-Treat all day long at Regency Court. Participating merchants will have Frankenstein on their doors.
Toddler Trick-or-Treat at Sump Memorial Library – 10/31, 9:45 a.m.
- Enjoy a story or two and then Trick or Treat at the library and downtown! Costumes welcome!
Pumpkin Patch Party at the Salvation Army Kroc Center – 10/31, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m.
- Safe and Fun alternative to traditional Trick or Treating, non scary costumes encouraged. Games, prizes, kid-friendly meal & drink, and a keepsake Halloween photo for each family.
Taqueria el Bajio Halloween Goodie Bags – 10/31, 5 – 8 p.m.
- Taqueria el Bajio, located at NW corner of 20th and Vinton at 3034 S 20th St., will have Goodie Bags for Kids under 12 years of age on October 31, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m., and tacos will be $1.00. Come by our locally family-owned and operated Mexican Restaurant to celebrate Halloween.
City of La Vista Halloween Safe Night – 10/31, 5:30 – 7 p.m.
- Enjoy a family-friendly spook tent, trick-or-treating, free hot dogs from the La Vista Fire Department, and even an old, spooky movie at the La Vista Community Center.
Disney’s “A Not So Scary Halloween 2013″ – 10/31, 5:30 – 7 p.m., Regency Court
- Free “I Scream” to the first 150 boys and ghouls provided by Petrow’s from 5:30 – 6:00. Storytime with Hector the Spectre from 6:00 – 7:00. Win Disney prizes.
Halloween Events with Admission
Cobweb Castle at the Omaha Children’s Museum – 9/24 – 10/31
- The Not-So-Scary haunted house gives young visitors a chance to experience a taste of the Halloween creepies without fear. Be sure to check out their calendar for daily programming in the Castle, featuring a spooky dance party, spells and science, and a magical story! Programming begins October 1st. Included with regular museum admission.
Haunted Safari at Wildlife Safari Park – 10/11 – 10/12, 6 – 9 p.m.
- Wear your costume and dress warm! We’ll go on a haunted hike, enjoy supper, roast marshmallows and play ghostly games in the great outdoors. Reservations are required. $15.00 for Wildlife Safari Park and Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium members. $20.00 for non-members. Event cost doesn’t include general Park admission during the operating hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Kids Club at Michaels – 10/12, 10/19, 10/26, 10 – 11:30 on the 1/2 hour, $2
- $2 per child reserves 30 minutes for your creative kid. Sessions starting every half hour from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Ages 3 and up are welcome to this event.
- Saturday, October 12th - Bandana Costume
- Saturday, October 19th - Duck Tape® Halloween Mask Event
- Saturday, October 26th - Happy Halloween Craft Event featuring: craft treat bags, candy, face painting and a Halloween parade…so don’t forget your costume!
Halloween Events in Nebraska State Parks – 10/12-10/27
- Celebrate Halloween at many Nebraska State Parks.
Healthy Trick or Treat Nights at the Omaha Children’s Museum – 10/17 and 10/24, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- These nights offer healthy treats for kids to collect at various stations around the museum. Included with regular museum admission.
Spooktacular at Omaha Zoo and Aquarium – 10/18-10/20, 10/26, 10/27, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m., $7-$8
- Visit the Lied Jungle to see the free flying bats or stop by Kingdoms of the Night® to see the nocturnal animals during their daylight cycle. The evening includes admission to Omaha’s Zoo and Aquarium afterhours, trick or treating and fun activities like Boo Bowling or Penguin-Pickin-Apples. Get up close and personal with different Animal Ambassadors, special animals used for educating visitors.
Trick or Treat with the Animals of Gifford Farm – 10/19, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., $5/child, adults are free
- Join us down on the farm for an afternoon of safe and fun trick or treating and some fun farm games. Find a special treat waiting for you at every station.
Search For Treats and Toys for Tots at Camp Fontanelle – 10/20, 2 – 4 p.m., $4-$6 or Free with Toy Donation
- Bring your candy bag and search for goodies as you try to conquer the maze. Bring a girls or boys new toy valued at $5 or more and get free admission! One toy = one free admission. Marines will receive toys 2-4 p.m.
Haunted Trail and Trick or Treat Trail - Cunningham Lake Campground Entrance #10 – 10/23-10/26
- Haunted Trail Tours - Take an escorted tour by a guide who explains the “strange events” that have take place over the years. Along the way you’ll encounter some frightful characters and scenes.
- 10/23-10/26, 5 – 10:20 p.m.
- Adults $13 / Kids (6-12) $8 [Adults only $10 / Kids $5 with a donation of 3 canned food items.]
- Trick or Treat Trail - Includes activities for children and families such as a rock wall, face painting, costume contest, and candy at each “scare-station”.
- 10/26, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Adults $8 / Kids (6-12) $5 [Adults only $5 / Kids $3 with a donation of 3 canned food items.] All kids 5 and under are free.
Growl-o-ween at Midtown Crossing – 10/26, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Creative canines of all kinds are invited to show off their costumes, go trick-or-treating, meet new friends and raise money for four-legged friends that haven’t found their forever home yet.
Family Halloween Party at Maple Street YMCA – 10/26, 6-8 p.m., Members: Free; Non-Members: $5 / Family
- All ages are welcome. Be sure to dress up in your costume for the party! Games, crafts and a friendly haunted house.
- Children in costume receive a trick-or-treat goodie bag. Pumpkin clearance sales and season-end specials in the gift shop to celebrate the last day of the season!
Kids at the Castle Halloween Event – Joslyn Castle, 10/27, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., $5
- Apple Biting Contest, Costume Contest, Face Painting, Pumpkin Decorating, Scavenger Hunt, Themed Attic Tour (on the third floor of the Castle), and other Halloween Games for kids to play and win prizes!
Ghoulish Garden Adventure at Lauritzen Gardens – 10/27, 12 – 4 p.m. $3-$7
- Come to the garden in costume and enjoy trick or treating at eleven different activity stations throughout the garden. Learn about pumpkins, spiders and other creepy crawlies, and make a few ghoulish crafts to take home. This event is FREE with paid garden admission or membership. Admission is $7 for adults, $3 for children 6-12 and free for members and children under six.
Symphony Spooktacular – 10/27, 2 p.m., Holland Performing Arts Center
- Spectacular music, thrilling costumes, and trick-or-treating! A concert that offers your family the perfect way to celebrate Halloween!
GREAT HALL-o-ween Haunt at The Durham Museum – 10/29, 5 – 7 p.m.
- Included in museum admission: Goose Bumps! The Science of Fear exhibit, “Trick or treat” in the museum, Ride the “fright” elevator, “Thriller” performance, Theater Make-Up demo, Games, crafts & more!
- Enjoy the museum on this spooky day with lots of not-too-scary fun! Halloween themed activities in each area. Included with regular museum admission.
It is always a good idea to verify the information with the business before visiting. Do you have a Family-Friendly Halloween Event to add? Please email us at FamilyFuninOmaha (at) gmail (dot) com and we will add it the list!