Labor Day Weekend is almost here, and although it marks the unofficial end to summer, there are still many activities and events to enjoy!
Be sure to visit the Omaha Kids Calendar for additional details on these and ALL of the fun activities coming up!
FREE Summer Events continue:
- Omaha Splashparks and Spraygrounds – many are open through Labor Day
- Farmer’s Markets
- Summer Concerts
Play Me, I’m Yours Omaha – 8/24 – 9/8, FREE
- Ten street pianos will be placed throughout the Omaha area, which have been designed and decorated by local artists. Everyone is welcome visit each piano, enjoy the visual art and play a few notes!
Food (r)Evolution – 8/29, 4-8 p.m., Westside Stadium, FREE
- Food (r)Evolution is being presented by Westside Community Schools and ConAgra Foods. It’s purpose is to promote healthy eating and exercise among kids and families. Food (r)Evolution will feature a rock concert by the world’s only rock star nutritionist, Jill Jayne, the Fuel Up to Play 60 Fitness Challenge, a farmers’ market, hands-on cooking demonstrations by local celebrity chefs, vendors and games and a free dinner featuring Little Red Barn Beef Burgers and the Sysco SuperPower Fruit and Veggie Bar.
Celebrate Papillion Pep Rally – 8/29, 5-8 p.m., Sumtur Amphitheater, FREE
- “Celebrate Papillion” pep rally at Sumtur Amphitheater with FREE food, music and fun for everyone. It’s to say THANKS for making Papillion such a special place.
La Festa Italiana – 8/30 – 9/1, $5 advance, $6.50 at the door, children under 12 free with adult
- Food, entertainment, and children’s activities. Held at the National Guard Readiness Center, 3 minutes west of I-680, Irvington Exit.
SeptemberFest Omaha – 8/30 – 9/2, $4.00, Children under 5 admitted free
- Featuring live bands, Kiddie Kingdom, BBQ & Ribeye Steak Cookoff, Midway Carnival, and more.
- Labor Day Parade – Monday at 10 a.m. in Downtown Omaha!
- FREE PARKING! They will have a shuttle from Gallup, Millers Landing and Ricks Boatyard to the front gate of the event. (See shuttle hours here.)
Hometown Festival at Bass Pro Shop – 8/31 – 9/1, 12-5 p.m., FREE
- Free family activities, crafts, seminars, games, plus more!
AppleGrass Bluegrass Festival at Ditmar’s Orchard – 8/31 – 9/1, $10, $15 weekend pass, Kids 12 and under Free
- Music on the main stage starts at 5 p.m. each night. Food vendors will be on site. Jamming tent, hosted by members of the Great Plains Bluegrass and Oldtime Music Association, starts at noon each day. Bring your acoustic instruments and join in the jam. There will be children’s activities, located near the playground, each day from 2-5pm, featuring local musicians.
Labor Day Weekend at the Omaha Zoo – 8/31 – 9/2, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Enjoy wild entertainment including an obstacle course bounce house, DJ and special animal presentations for all ages. Event activities are free to Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium members or with regular paid Zoo admission. Gate gifts, provided by Oriental Trading Company, will be given out, while supplies last.
- Also enjoy: $1 ice cream cones and $1 small drinks, and complimentary water being handed out by Zoo staff on golf carts.
Labor Day Parade – 9/2, 10 a.m., Downtown Omaha
- Watch flag carrying honor guards, marching bands, Labor Unions, businesses, floats, animals, horses, clowns and roaming artists!
Labor Day Air Show – 9/2, 12 – 4 p.m., FREE
- Annual Omahawks Air Show benefitting Make-A-Wish. Enjoy this FREE show watching radio-controlled planes & their operators show off their skills all for Make-A-Wish! Food, drinks, and door prize tickets available for purchase. This will be held at Standing Bear Lake Park at 138th and Fort Streets.
Heading Out of Town:
The Nebraska State Fair – 8/23-9/2, Grand Island
- The Nebraska State Fair is an annual, 11-day, event that is held at the end of August through early September, ending on Labor Day. The fair is held at Fonner Park in Grand Island, NE.
Callaway Kite Flight – 8/31-9/1, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Callaway, NE, $2 (3 and under Free)
- Come fly your own kite or just watch the professional kite fliers fly their large and colorful array of kites. Watch as hundreds of colorful kites fill the skies over Callaway (about 4 hours west of Omaha). Only $2 per person per day (children 3 and under free). Free parking.
PLUS, find many more activities and events in the Omaha Kids Calendar!
It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!