The weekend is almost here! Every Thursday, I post many free (or almost free) fun family activities to enjoy in Omaha and nationwide! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Family-Friendly Halloween Events in Omaha
- Omaha Area Pumpkin Patches and Fall Festivals 2012
- Free Fall Fun in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
Halloween Event 2012 at Bass Pro Shop – 10/19-10/31
- Halloween Photo Opportunity, Crafts, Trick or Treating, Grab an Apple Activity, Halloween Scavenger Hunt, Costume Parade. See website for exact dates and times of all activities.
Celebration of Mind Nebraska at the Strategic Air & Space Museum – 10/20, 10am-4pm
- “Celebration of Mind” is a family event for those interested in the joy of thinking, playable art, problem solving, recreational math, and creativity. Sponsored by The Strategic Air and Space Museum and Fat Brain Toys, this interactive event will feature presentations and entertainment, including ‘The Zip Code Man”, and over 15 different activities. The event is free for the first 500 to register, and includes admission to the museum. This sounds really cool!
- ***UPDATE: Free admission for the first 500 attendees has been exceeded. You may still attend the Celebration of Mind by purchasing a standard admission the day of the event at the Strategic Air & Space Museum.
Mav Kids Halloween Party – 10/20, 11am-2pm
- UNO Campus Recreation is hosting the annual Mav Kids Halloween Party in the HPER Building. The Halloween bash features a haunted house, games, prizes and candy. The event is free and open to the UNO community and general public. They will be collecting canned food for the local shelves and towels and blankets for Town and Country Humane Society.
- Toys for Tots – Bring a girls or boys new toy valued at $5 or more and get free admission! One toy = one free admission. Marines will receive toys 2-5 pm.
Food Day Omaha in Aksarben Village – 10/21, 9am-1pm
- The Omaha Farmers Market at Aksarben Village has been extended one more week to help celebrate Food Day. The extended market will be from 9am to 1pm and have approximately 70 booths. In addition to the Farmers Market, there will be children’s activities, cooking demonstrations and more to teach attendees how to support sustainable farming and promotes safe, healthy foods. Join us for Food Day in a national effort to encourage Americans to “Eat Real.”
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
Marcus Theatres POP 3D Family Film Series – 10/20, 10am; 10/21, 11am
- Throughout October, Marcus Theatres is offering four weeks of family-friendly 3D movies for only $3! The POP 3D Family Film Series will feature favorites Saturdays at 10am and Sundays at 11am. Additionally, enjoy these concession specials: 46oz Popcorn or 14oz Sodas for Only $2 Each! In the Omaha area, this includes 20 Grand, Twin Creek in Bellevue, and Village Pointe.
- October 20-21: Happy Feet Two
Halloween Safe Night and Fall Festival at Papillion-LaVista South High School – 10/25, 6:00-8:00pm
- Events will include a costume contest, games, prizes, bounce houses and activities for all ages. Admission is free with a canned or non perishable food item for one of the Sarpy County Food Pantries.
Omaha Public Library Halloween Events – 10/18-11/5
- Many events including storytimes, parades, crafts and more at Omaha Public Libraries.
Halloween Family Fun Night at your Local YMCA – 10/26
- Council Bluffs YMCA – 10/26, 5:30-7:30pm – Games, musical chairs, and make and take crafts. Friendly costumes welcome. Free to the community!
- Sarpy YMCA – 10/26, 6-7:30pm – Free to members, $10/family for non-members. Trunk or Treat in the parking lot, followed by games and fun inside. Sign-up ahead of time.
- Maple Street YMCA – 10/26, 6:30-8pm – Free to members, $5/family for non-members. A fun-filled Halloween party for all ages. Join us for games, crafts, and food. This year we have a new Trunk or Treat, too!
Monster Mash Bash at Oak View Mall – 10/26, 6-9pm
- Kids and Parents – Come to Oak View Mall and Celebrate Halloween Inside! Wear Your Costume and Trick or Treat Merchants throughout the Mall from 6-9 pm. Treats, Dance Contest, Costume Contest, Craft Table, Watch a Movie. We went to this last year and my kids loved it!
Westroads Mall Spooktacular Trick-or-Treat Event – 10/26, 6-8pm
- Westroads Mall will give away Free Trick-or-Treat bags filled with candy, terrific retailer offers and a Free child admission pass to Rave Motion Pictures, while supplies last. The line for the bags will form at the Food Court entrance on the lower level. Children will then be allowed to trick-or-treat inside the mall at the various participating retailers. Also special appearances by McGruff and Johnny Justice, AAA Nebraska will provide safety tips and free face painting, and The Omaha Storm Chasers mascots Casey and Stormy will be on hand to visit with trick-or-treaters.
Lowe’s Free Build and Grow Clinic – 10/27, 10am
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Creepy Keeper – Oct 27, 2012
Marcus Theatres POP 3D Family Film Series – 10/27, 10am; 10/28, 11am
- October 27-28: Journey 2
Omaha’s Great Pumpkin at Village Pointe – 10/27, 10am-2pm, 7-8pm
- FREE Family Festival with Pumpkin Carving, Fun Kids’ Activities, and Professional & Celebrity Carvers. Join Lutheran Family Services (LFS) at the Village Pointe roundabout where hundreds of pumpkins will be carved, making up Nebraska’s largest pumpkin sculpture, representing the children waiting for a home in Nebraska. Be sure to come by that night at 7 pm when the tree of jack-o-lanterns will be lit up and remain lit through Halloween.
Halloween at Hummel Park Nature Center – 10/27, 10:30am-12:00pm
- Join us for our Halloween Party! Play the great pumpkin splash, search for spiders, paint pumpkins, and enjoy many other family friendly activities! Costumes encouraged! Fee: $1.00 drop-in.
Benson Boo Bash and Trick or Treat on Maple Street – 10/27, 10:30am-1pm
- Come in costume to enjoy games and prizes, treats, popcorn, and bounce house at the Benson Community Center, 6008 Maple Street. Bring your own treat bag to trick or treat to businesses.
SPOOKTACULAR at Saddlebrook – 10/27, 1-3pm
- Join the Community Center and Library for our Spooktacular Halloween event! Bring the whole family to join us for storytime, crafts, and gym fun!
Fall Folk Festival at Dee-sign Landscaping and Garden Center – 10/28, 12-4pm
- Fall Folk Festival will be held at Dee-sign North Nursery, 5602 Read St. (3 blocks N. Sorenson). Free admission with Live music, bake sale, nursery garage sale, pumpkin painting, scavenger hunt, games, bouncy house, henna tattoos. Halloween costumes encouraged.
Halloween Hoopla at Shadow Lake Towne Center – 10/28, 1-3pm
- Kids, wear your Halloween costumes a few days early for a fun afternoon at Shadow Lake Towne Center! Safe trick-or-treating at participating Shadow Lake Towne Center merchants displaying an owl in the front window, and free Hayrack rides.
Old Market Trick or Treat – 10/28, 1-4pm
- Free fun for the entire family. Get in costume and stroll the Old Market where participating merchants will be handing out treats. Interact with strolling characters. Music, activities, and storytelling sites will be located throughout the Old Market. Maps will be available the day of the event at 11th & Howard information booth. New this year…”Books Are Treats”. FREE books are available to all on the Metro Transit Book Bus.
Halloween Fun Day at Village Pointe – 10/28, 2-5pm
- Kids can wear costumes and join us in Center Court for fun Halloween games, face painting and candy for everyone. Enjoy trick-or-treating at Village Pointe merchants with bright orange pumpkin signs in participating store windows. Bring along a canned food donation to benefit the Food Bank for the Heartland or a donation of new or gently-used coats to be eligible for a drawing for a $25 Village Pointe Gift Card. All coats will benefit the Omaha Salvation Army.
Trick or Trunk in Aksarben Village – 10/28, 3-5pm
- POWER 106.9 PRESENTS TRICK OR TRUNK! Please come to Aksarben Village and Stinson Park to Trick or Treat out of NEW vehicles with your little ones. There will be TRUNKS filled with candy on Mercy Road. Food and drinks from Jones Bros. Cupcakes, Godfather’s Pizza, Mojo Smokehouse and Ales, Wohlner’s, Kettle Corn etc. and Aksarben Cinema will be handing out surprises…all in Stinson Park. There will be face painting and balloon twisters, bounce houses, hay rack rides and other activites for the children.
Have a wonderful weekend!