The weekend is almost here! Every Thursday, I post many free (or almost free) fun family activities to enjoy in Omaha and nationwide! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Family-Friendly Halloween Events in Omaha
- Omaha Area Pumpkin Patches and Fall Festivals 2012
- Free Fall Fun in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
Saturday Surprise Kids’ Program and Free Admission at Joslyn Art Museum – 10/13, 10am-12pm
- Through partnerships with local artists and area organizations or special programming for children and families, there is always something new to explore here at the Museum! Join us every other Saturday from 10 am–noon for a self-guided art project at Joslyn! Remember FREE General Admission to the Joslyn on Saturdays, 10am-12pm.
- October 13th – What It Means To Me
Mangelsen’s Witches Tea – 10/13, 11am-3pm
- It’s our 35th Annual Witches Tea – a great Halloween Party in the parking lot that is fun for the whole family! Ghoulish Games, Face Painting, Balloon Animals, Halloween Crafts, Jered the Incredible Magic Show @ 11:30am, and Costume Contest at 1:00pm - 5 age categories, no pre-registration needed.
Harvest Fest at HyVee (180th and Pacific) – 10/13, 11am-6pm
- Join us for our 1st Annual Harvest Fest. Enjoy bounce house, caramel apples, games, crafts for kids, music, and antique tractor parade at 11am. Silent auction runs from 11:00am-6pm with the proceeds going to “Womenade of Elkhorn,” a local organization helping children and families in need in the Elkhorn Public School District.
Springfield Fire Department Open House – 10/13, 4-8pm
- Family Fun Night and BBQ at Springfield Fire Station, 505 S. 1st Street, Springfield, NE. Free Admission, donations appreciated.
Papillion Fire Department Open House – 10/14, 8am-1pm
- Come to our Free Community Appreciation Breakfast with many great public safety demonstrations and kids activities. This will be held at Station 1, 146 North Adams Street in Papillion.
- One Sky, One World Fly at the LaVista Soccer Complex, just South of 66th & Harrison Streets.
- We’ve got a full day of printing planned just for you. Stop by and visit the new exhibition “Under Pressure,” and enjoy a day of art-making and gallery fun with friends and family.
- This family friendly event is FREE and open to the public, and will be held at District 1 Station, 8110 Park View Blvd in LaVista.
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
Marcus Theatres POP 3D Family Film Series – 10/13, 10am; 10/14, 11am
- Throughout October, Marcus Theatres is offering four weeks of family-friendly 3D movies for only $3! The POP 3D Family Film Series will feature favorites Saturdays at 10am and Sundays at 11am. Additionally, enjoy these concession specials: 46oz Popcorn or 14oz Sodas for Only $2 Each! In the Omaha area, this includes 20 Grand, Twin Creek in Bellevue, and Village Pointe.
- October 13-14: Dolphin Tale
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Ghoul Bus – Oct 13, 2012
Harry Potter Halloween at Barnes & Noble Booksellers – 10/13, 7:00pm
- Select Barnes & Noble stores will host a Harry Potter Halloween Party for ages 7 to 16 on Saturday, October 13. Dress up as your favorite Harry Potter character and join us for a scavenger hunt and costume contest.
Wizards and Witches Potion Party at Saddlebrook Community Center – 10/16, 10-11:30am
- Ages: 2 – 5 years, $2/Child. Come in costume for a Halloween celebration including a fun story, crafts, and a ghostly snack! Registration Deadline: Sunday 10/14.
Story Adventures at Joslyn – 10/16, 10:30-11:30am
- Young readers and their grown-ups are invited to Story Adventures, an artful reading program presented by Joslyn and Omaha Public Library. Nurture your imagination as a librarian reads stories aloud and engages the family in conversation connecting books and art. Admission is free!
- October 16: Travel & Adventure
Halloween Event 2012 at Bass Pro Shop – 10/19-10/31
- Halloween Photo Opportunity, Crafts, Trick or Treating, Grab an Apple Activity, Halloween Scavenger Hunt, Costume Parade. See website for exact dates and times of all activities.
Celebration of Mind Nebraska at the Strategic Air & Space Museum - 10/20, 10am-4pm
- “Celebration of Mind” is a family event for those interested in the joy of thinking, playable art, problem solving, recreational math, and creativity. Sponsored by The Strategic Air and Space Museum and Fat Brain Toys, this interactive event will feature presentations and entertainment, including ‘The Zip Code Man”, and over 15 different activities. The event is free for the first 500 to register, and includes admission to the museum. This sounds really cool!
Marcus Theatres POP 3D Family Film Series - 10/20, 10am; 10/21, 11am
- October 20-21: Happy Feet Two
- Toys for Tots – Bring a girls or boys new toy valued at $5 or more and get free admission! One toy = one free admission. Marines will receive toys 2-5 pm.
- The Omaha Farmers Market at Aksarben Village has been extended one more week to help celebrate Food Day. The extended market will be from 9am to 1pm and have approximately 70 booths. In addition to the Farmers Market, there will be children’s activities, cooking demonstrations and more to teach attendees how to support sustainable farming and promotes safe, healthy foods. Join us for Food Day in a national effort to encourage Americans to “Eat Real.”