The weekend is almost here, and there are many free (or almost free) fun family activities both locally and nationally to enjoy! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Omaha Area Pumpkin Patches and Fall Festivals 2012 - many opening this weekend!
- Free Family Activities in Omaha
- Kids Programs in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
- Shadow Lake Towne Center offers Kids Club, a FREE hour of fun for children. A different activity is featured in a different store / restaurant each month. Register early since these tend to fill-up quickly!
- Thursday, September 13 – 10:30am – moved to Old Navy due to colder temperatures and chance of rain
- Current drought conditions throughout the Midwest have been called the worst in a generation. Due to The Rainbow’s dependence on rainwater, planned twice daily rainbow events have been scaled back. Check here for updated schedule (ends September 15th).
- The Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association (DID) will offer FREE activities and mini events all summer at the Gene Leahy Mall! Activities will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays during the months of May, June, August and September at 14th & Farnam Streets.
- Mondays – Family Fun
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – Boot Camp Exercise Classes
- Wednesdays – Arts & Culture
- Every Friday night in September, we’re showcasing some of the area’s most exciting musical talent. Friday evenings in Turner Park, concerts start at 7pm.
- “As American As Apple Pie” 2012 - Ranked one of the Top 10 Fall Festivals in North America by the Society of American Travel Writers, Nebraska City’s 40+-year-old apple harvest celebration is fun for the whole family! Don’t miss: Parade showcasing 30+ marching bands, Classic Car Show, Arts & Crafts Fairs, Fun Run/Walk, Quilt Show, Outdoor Concerts, Apple Harvest Festivities, Carnival, Street Dance. Head out to Arbor Lodge, Arbor Day Farm, and the Orchards to learn more about the harvest, pick your own apples, and stock up on all of the tasty apple treats!
- Free admission to Family Fair and Omaha Children’s Museum from 8-10am on September 15th! Learn about ways to help your family get and stay healthy. Join us for activity stations, snacks, giveaways, and valuable information from Methodist Health System and many other organizations focused on your family’s health.
- FREE! Presented by the Omaha Summer Arts Festival, ARTsarben will showcase traditional fine art plus offbeat, creative and stylish works created by over 70 artists from across the United States at Aksarben Village. In addition to the visual arts, ARTsarben will feature food trucks and a sampling from the best of Omaha’s restaurants, an active KidZone and live music in Stinson Park.
- Sat., Sept. 15 (10am-7pm)
- Sun., Sept. 16 (10am-4pm)
- Family Skate at Motto McLean Ice Arena (inside Hitchcock Park- 45th & Q). Only $10 for a family of four, and $3 for each additional person. This includes admission, skate rentals, popcorn, and drink.
- September 15th and 22nd: 12:00-2:00
- Young readers and their grown-ups are invited to Story Adventures, an artful reading program presented by Joslyn and Omaha Public Library. Nurture your imagination as a librarian reads stories aloud and engages the family in conversation connecting books and art. Admission is free!
- Gates will open at 6:00pm with The Princess Bride starting at 7:00pm. Admission into the stadium and parking is FREE. Remember if you are already a Centris Member, admission to the Centris Family Fun Zone inside the stadium will also be FREE! Just bring a Centris Visa Credit, Debit or ATM card, or Centris Member ID card with you! To get your tickets, please RSVP.
- Fun free event at Ditmars Orchard & Vineyard.
- FREE admission to military personnel and their immediate family when presenting a valid military ID.
- Join Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo Sunday, September 23, 2012 from 12 to 5 p.m. for a fiesta for the whole family during Family Fiesta! Featuring soccer mascots, a live mariachi band, face painting and more, the event will be filled with fun family-friendly activities. Event activities are free to Omaha’s Zoo members or with regular paid Zoo admission.
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Fire Truck – 9/22, 10:00 AM
- Join us for our special storytime events in honor of beloved children’s author, Maurice Sendak. Arrive early for a free activity book, while supplies last. Free event.