The weekend is almost here, and there are many free (or almost free) fun family activities both locally and nationally to enjoy! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Omaha Area Pumpkin Patches and Fall Festivals 2012
- Free Family Activities in Omaha
- Kids Programs in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
- Current drought conditions throughout the Midwest have been called the worst in a generation. Due to The Rainbow’s dependence on rainwater, planned twice daily rainbow events have been scaled back. Check here for updated schedule (ends September 15th).
- The Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association (DID) will offer FREE activities and mini events all summer at the Gene Leahy Mall! Activities will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays during the months of May, June, August and September at 14th & Farnam Streets.
- Mondays – Family Fun
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – Boot Camp Exercise Classes
- Wednesdays – Arts & Culture
Nebraska’s Great Park Pursuit - A FREE outdoor adventure throughout Nebraska from 5/1-9/17, where participants can visit up to 20 local, state or federal parks. At each park, visitors follow clues to find the post and make a nature impression. Impressions are mailed in, reflecting the total number of parks visited. Entry into prize drawings are based on the number of impressions collected. There are a few near Omaha and Lincoln!
- Held the first Friday of each month, 6-9pm, First Friday is a free event celebrating local creativity in Omaha’s most historic neighborhood. They are also offering free parking and free rides on Ollie the Trolley, 6-9pm. Nebraska at the Market, 1215 Leavenworth, is generously offering their 60 parking spaces for free. Park there and start your walking tour or hop aboard the trolley to circulate the neighborhood.
- Every Friday night in September, we’re showcasing some of the area’s most exciting musical talent. Friday evenings in Turner Park, concerts start at 7pm.
- Although not free, it is a great deal and you are helping a great cause! Cost: $5/car for parking, $1/person admission at the gate. Net proceeds from the Fields of Flight event go to support the Micah House in Council Bluffs. Ditmar’s Orchard is located at 19475 225th Street. All times for this event are approximate and dependent on weather conditions.
- Friday, 9/7: “Mac and the Bulldogs” LIVE Music starting at 5PM, Flight at 5:45, Glow at 7:45
- Saturday, 9/8: Flight at daybreak, “Travelin’ Lite” LIVE Music starting at 5PM, Flight at 5:45, Glow at 7:45
- Sunday, 9/9: Competitive Flight at daybreak
- Join us for the Big Red Healthy Huddle, a free event filled with plenty of fun for the kids and lots of great health information for the entire family. Autograph signing with former Husker athletes, including Olympic medalist Jordan Larson. Family friendly music, Face painting and other fun activities, Safe Kids ID Kits with the Omaha Police Department, Safety vehicles from the Omaha Fire Department, Child seat safety checks, Healthy tailgating ideas. Register at the event for prizes, including VIP package for 4 to a Husker football game. 9am-12pm at Methodist Women’s Hospital, 192nd and Dodge.
- Over 150 national, regional, and local artists will display and sell their one-of-a-kind works of art. Spend the day browsing quality art and chatting with those who create it and appreciate it. A food court offering selections from Rockbrook Village® food merchants will be available. 9/8 – 10-6pm, 9/9 – 10-5pm
- Free Event from 10-1 at Village Pointe Shopping Center. Come over and enjoy everything from massages to yoga and learn ways to keep yourself healthy! Download a coupon for a free Vera Bradley newest Market Tote!
- Family Skate at Motto McLean Ice Arena (inside Hitchcock Park- 45th & Q). Only $10 for a family of four, and $3 for each additional person. This includes admission, skate rentals, popcorn, and drink.
- September 8th: 1:15-3:15
- September 15th: 12:00-2:00
- The American Legion Post #373 will be holding its 4th annual 9-11 Remembrance & Military Tribute event again this year on Tuesday starting promptly at 6 PM and be held at the Sumtur Amphitheater. The Patriotic event is FREE. We will be honoring the WWII Veterans and will have a WWII Veteran speaking this year.
- Shadow Lake Towne Center offers Kids Club, a FREE hour of fun for children. A different activity is featured in a different store / restaurant each month. Register early since these tend to fill-up quickly!
- Thursday, September 13 – 10:30am - “Animals Around the World”, presented by the Henry Doorly Zoo in the Alegent Health Amphitheatre (weather permitting – if inclement, event will be moved to Old Navy)
- “As American As Apple Pie” 2012 - Ranked one of the Top 10 Fall Festivals in North America by the Society of American Travel Writers, Nebraska City’s 40+-year-old apple harvest celebration is fun for the whole family! Don’t miss: Parade showcasing 30+ marching bands, Classic Car Show, Arts & Crafts Fairs, Fun Run/Walk, Quilt Show, Outdoor Concerts, Apple Harvest Festivities, Carnival, Street Dance. Head out to Arbor Lodge, Arbor Day Farm, and the Orchards to learn more about the harvest, pick your own apples, and stock up on all of the tasty apple treats!
- Free admission to Family Fair and Omaha Children’s Museum from 8-10am on September 15th! Learn about ways to help your family get and stay healthy. Join us for activity stations, snacks, giveaways, and valuable information from Methodist Health System and many other organizations focused on your family’s health.
- FREE! Presented by the Omaha Summer Arts Festival, ARTsarben will showcase traditional fine art plus offbeat, creative and stylish works created by over 70 artists from across the United States at Aksarben Village. In addition to the visual arts, ARTsarben will feature food trucks and a sampling from the best of Omaha’s restaurants, an active KidZone and live music in Stinson Park.
- Sat., Sept. 15 (10am-7pm)
- Sun., Sept. 16 (10am-4pm)
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
- Grandparents Day is September 9th! Celebrate all week with free special activities, storytime events, workshops and more. Bring the kids in to draw a special picture or write a letter to Grandma or Grandpa. They will even mail it for you if you bring the address!
- Grandparents Letter-Writing Station – All week long
- Grandparents Storytime – Tuesday, 9/4, 11:00am
- Gifts for Grandkids 101: How to Select the Perfect Gift – Weds. 9/5, 3pm
- Home Away from Home: Creating Spaces in your home for your Grandkids – Friday, 9/7, 11:00am
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Chuck E. Roller – 9/8, 10:00 AM
- 10am-12pm. Grandparents Day Frame Make-It Take-It with purchase of $1 wood frame. Ages 3 and Up.
Which of these fun activities are you planning to do this beautiful weekend?