The weekend is almost here, and there are many free (or almost free) fun family activities both locally and nationally to enjoy! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- Labor Day Weekend Activities and Events in Omaha
- City of Omaha Extended Pool Season Hours and Cheap Admission
- Free Summer Activities in Omaha
- Free Family Activities in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Omaha Events
- Current drought conditions throughout the Midwest have been called the worst in a generation. Due to The Rainbow’s dependence on rainwater, planned twice daily rainbow events have been scaled back. Check here for updated schedule.
- The Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association (DID) will offer FREE activities and mini events all summer at the Gene Leahy Mall! Activities will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays during the months of May, June, August and September at 14th & Farnam Streets.
- Mondays – Family Fun
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – Boot Camp Exercise Classes
- Wednesdays – Arts & Culture
Nebraska’s Great Park Pursuit – A FREE outdoor adventure throughout Nebraska from 5/1-9/17, where participants can visit up to 20 local, state or federal parks. At each park, visitors follow clues to find the post and make a nature impression. Impressions are mailed in, reflecting the total number of parks visited. Entry into prize drawings are based on the number of impressions collected. There are a few near Omaha and Lincoln!
Saturday Surprise and Free Admission to Joslyn Art Museum –9/1, 10am-12.
Taste of the Y – 9/1
- Saturday, September 1st at Westroads Mall on the Upper Level near the Children’s Play Area. At Taste of the Y, you can try a demo of a yoga or Zumba class, and children’s activities, sponsored by the Greater Omaha YMCA.
- Gather your family and friends for one last hurrah Saturday, September 1 to Monday, September 3, 2012 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for Labor Day Weekend at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo! There will be wild entertainment and special animal presentations for all ages. Event activities are free to Omaha’s Zoo members or with regular paid Zoo admission. See helpful tips for visiting the Omaha zoo here!
- Downtown Omaha at 10:00 AM. The two hour parade goes on rain or shine. There will be flag carrying honor guards, marching bands, Labor Unions, businesses, floats, animals, horses, clowns and roaming artists.
- The Omaha Children’s Museum and Westroads Mall invite you to play. learn. together. at the Westroads Mall Kid’s Club, held on the first Wednesday of every month from 10:30am – 11:30am on the Upper Level near the Children’s Play Area.
- September 5th will feature Science in Action: States of Matter.
- Held the first Friday of each month, 6-9pm, First Friday is a free event celebrating local creativity in Omaha’s most historic neighborhood. They are also offering free parking and free rides on Ollie the Trolley, 6-9pm. Nebraska at the Market, 1215 Leavenworth, is generously offering their 60 parking spaces for free. Park there and start your walking tour or hop aboard the trolley to circulate the neighborhood.
- Every Friday night in September, we’re showcasing some of the area’s most exciting musical talent. Friday evenings in Turner Park, concerts start at 7pm.
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
- Home Depot offers FREE kid’s workshops on the first Saturday of each month, from 9am-12pm. They are designed for children ages 5-12. Workshops teach children do-it-yourself skills and tool safety. All participants will receive a Kids Workshop Apron, commemorative pin and certificate of achievement.
- Goal Post Football Game – 9/1, 9am-12pm
- September 1st-2nd, 12-5pm. Free Family Activities, Crafts, and Seminars.
- Grandparents Day is September 9th! Celebrate all week with free special activities, storytime events, workshops and more. Bring the kids in to draw a special picture or write a letter to Grandma or Grandpa. They will even mail it for you if you bring the address!
- Grandparents Letter-Writing Station – All week long
- Grandparents Storytime – Tuesday, 9/4, 11:00am
- Gifts for Grandkids 101: How to Select the Perfect Gift – Weds. 9/5, 3pm
- Home Away from Home: Creating Spaces in your home for your Grandkids – Friday, 9/7, 11:00am
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Chuck E. Roller – 9/8, 10:00 AM
Which of these fun and free activities are you planning to do this beautiful weekend?