The weekend is almost here, and there are many free (or almost free) fun family activities both locally and nationally to enjoy! Be sure to visit the Event Calendar (or the calendar list view on the right of this page) for more information on ALL of the free activities coming up! It is always a good idea to verify with the business before visiting.
- 10 Free Activities to Beat the Heat
- City of Omaha Extended Pool Season Hours and Cheap Admission
- Free Summer Activities in Omaha
- Free Family Activities in Omaha
- More Free Upcoming Events in Omaha and Nationwide
Highlights of Upcoming Local Events
- Shadow Lake Towne Center offers Kids Club, a FREE hour of fun for children. A different activity is featured in a different store / restaurant each month. Register early since these tend to fill-up quickly!
- Thursday, August 9th – 10:30am at the SprayGround, featuring live entertainment by the String Beans.
- Follow the yellow brick road to Borsheims at Regency to see The Wizard of Oz film for FREE with your family. To attend, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Snacks are permitted, you bring your own chairs and enter through Borsheims. In addition to seeing the movie, you’ll meet Wizard of Oz characters who are making a special trip from The Omaha Children’s Museum to Regency Court! Arrival begins at 5pm. Movie starts at 6pm.
- Current drought conditions throughout the Midwest have been called the worst in a generation. Due to The Rainbow’s dependence on rainwater, planned twice daily rainbow events have been scaled back. Check here for updated schedule.
- July 12th – August 16th. Thursdays, Venue opens at 5 PM, Concert starts at 7 pm.
- The Omaha Downtown Improvement District Association (DID) will offer FREE activities and mini events all summer at the Gene Leahy Mall! Activities will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m., Mondays-Thursdays during the months of May, June, August and September at 14th & Farnam Streets.
- Mondays – Family Fun
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – Boot Camp Exercise Classes
- Wednesdays – Arts & Culture
- All concerts and movies this summer will begin at 7 pm, and take place outdoors at the La Vista Public Library, 9110 Giles Road.
- August 10th – Bluehouse / Three Musketeers
- Omaha Performing Arts brings back Cox Music & Movies! Enjoy live music from some of the area’s hottest bands followed by a classic movie, all in the Holland Center Courtyard. Venue opens at 7:30pm, music starts at 7:45pm, and movies begin at dusk. This will be held on the Holland Center East Lawn, at 12th & Douglas Streets. FREE and OPEN to the public! A menu of à la carte items will be available the day of the show. Blankets and chairs welcome. No pets or outside food permitted. PLEASE NOTE: This is a rain or shine event. Event will move to the covered arrival plaza (directly next to the courtyard) in the case of rain.
- August 10 – Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Gates open at 7:30 with cartoons starting as soon as the sun sets. The feature movie starts at twilight. Before each Movie 7:45 – 8:45 Sumtur Amphitheater hosts SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT PAPILLION! Four 15 minute slots per night to show your stuff. One winner each night moves on to the finals August 10th for a $250 winner-takes-all grand prize. Sing, Dance, Play an Instrument, Tell Jokes. All forms of family entertainment welcome.
- Puss In Boots – 8/10
- Hey kids, before the bell rings for your first class this school year, visit Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo on Saturday, August 11, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for one last hurrah. Get in the school spirit by hanging out with local mascots while learning at the Zoo without sitting at a desk. Event activities are free to Omaha’s Zoo members or with regular paid Zoo admission.
- Weekly inspirational sports-themed movies will be shown in Turner Park. The movies are free and open to the public and sponsored by Marcus Midtown Cinema. Grab your blanket, enjoy some popcorn, sit back and relax as we laugh, cry and become inspired all summer long! Movie starts at dark.
- August 13, 2012 – Miracle(2004)
- The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission sponsors Family Fishing Events across the state where people of all ages can learn to fish! Look for the Family Fishing Trailer where loaner rods and reels, bait, and fishing instruction are available free to participants.
- 8/15 – Halleck Park, Papillion, 6-8pm
- FREE, Fun Events All Summer Long! Bring your family and enjoy Summer Nights on Wednesday evenings at the Kroc Center, 6:30-8pm. Meet new people and have fun with your children while enjoying a new free activity each week. Kroc Center members and non-members are all invited to join the fun!
- 8/15 Rainbows and Promises
- The event features a parade, pancake feed, pet show, art in the park, activities for children, entertainment, food, and fun. The club also sponsors a luncheon, music program, and bingo at the Senior Center.
- Special evening for children with Autism and their families. The museum has worked with UNMC to create an appropriate environment. Sponsored by Autism Action Partnership, this event is free for autistic children and their families.
Highlights of Upcoming National Events
- Lowe’s offers free Build and Grow clinics every other Saturday at 10am and Sunday at 2pm. Bring the kids to any Lowe’s store to build fun projects. This is recommended for children in grades 1st-5th. Registration opens a few weeks before each clinic’s date.
- Shrek Dragon Ride – 8/11, 10:00 AM
- Shrek Dragon Ride – 8/12, 2:00 PM
Which event are you most looking forward to this weekend?