How can we stay cool, save money, and have fun with our kids? Here are 10+ Free (or almost Free) Activities to Beat the Heat!
- Stay cool on a hot summer day!
- Many Free or Reduced Movies are offered throughout the Summer at many local theaters
3. Summer Reading Programs and Storytimes
- Summer Reading Programs at your local library offer special storytimes, magic shows, animals, costumed characters, plus many other special events.
- Preschool Storytimes held at The Bookworm (Thursdays at 10 a.m.), Barnes & Noble Oakview (Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11 a.m.), Barnes & Noble Crossroads (Fridays at 9:30 a.m.), and Pottery Barn Kids (Tuesdays at 11 a.m.)
- Times and Dates may vary, it is always best to call ahead to verify.
- A nationwide program that provides FREE hours of entertainment all summer long for your kids! Register your children and they will receive two free games every day all summer! Parents can purchase a family pass, if they wish, so they can bowl with their kids. What a great way to be active and have fun with your kids all summer and build memories together!
- A nationwide program that offers free skating all summer long. In Omaha, this includes SkateDaze. Passes valid for children 12 years old and younger. Register to begin receiving your skating passes!
6. Hydrant Parties
- Stay cool on hot, summer day! Check out the City of Omaha’s Hydrant Party Schedule and Council Bluffs Hydrant Parties!
- La Vista Summer Escapes Hydrant Party – August 8, 3 p.m.
- Inexpensive activities include an obstacle course, water balloon piñata, water balloon towel toss, and more!
8. Free Kids Workshops and Clubs
- Home Depot Free Kids Workshops and Lowe’s Free Build and Grow Clinics for kids are great for learning new skills and working on a project together.
- Free crafts at Lakeshore Learning Stores every Saturday from 11am – 3pm and Michaels Stores are offering Passport to Imagination every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, for $2/session from now through August 2.
- In Omaha, Westroads Kids Club and Shadow Lake Towne Center Kids Club offer kids a different activity each month for free!
- At many community centers, you can enjoy open gym time and other activities with your little ones for as little as $1/adult!
- Free general admission every day, PLUS:
- Saturday Surprise every other Saturday, from 10 am–noon
- Story Adventures - connects books and art, presented by Joslyn and Omaha Public Library
11. Other Fun Indoor Activities
- Indoor Children’s Play Areas can be found at Oak View Mall and Westroads Mall
- Visit huge exhibits of ‘stuffed’ animals at Scheels, Bass Pro Shop, or Cabela’s!
12. Pool Events
- Can Drive for a Dive - Bring 2 cans of food for one admission, at all Omaha pools except Common Ground. – July 14
- Splash Bash at La Vista Pool - July 28, 1-4 p.m., FREE
- National Night Out Kick-Off Event in Papillion - Papillion residents only. FREE Family Fun at Papio Bay Aquatic Center. – August 4, 5 – 8 p.m., FREE